Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew day visitor  (Read 2740 times)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Re: Brew day visitor
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 12:42:43 pm »
My brew day visitors range from the expected 2 legged variety to ducks, canadian geese, occasionally dogs, and then the 6 and 8 legged variety.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 06:07:44 pm »
I used to dump my grain out back in the woods in such a way so that I could see them feeding as I woke up in the morning. Pretty cool.
I still do that. Just dumped 10+ lbs in the tree line and opened the curtains.

The strangest visitor i've had is a pheasant. We don't have pheasant in N AL. But i'll be damned if I didn't have one walk by.

The other is a cat that rolled in on a brew day. He's still hanging out. I guess he liked what what he saw/smelt/tasted.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 07:00:34 pm »
I had a younger one walk right into the garage while brewing last year. Didn't hear her step up - scared the hell out of me. She now has a couple of fawns. They like to browse my malt compost and sip from the little stream nearby.

...and they ate my tomato plants.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2015, 09:07:35 pm »
I think this one had a fawn or two hidden in the wheat. She went over to the bird seed area and picked through it till the dogs saw her. Then she roamed around till dark, probably looking for babies.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 11:32:42 am »
I think this one had a fawn or two hidden in the wheat. She went over to the bird seed area and picked through it till the dogs saw her. Then she roamed around till dark, probably looking for babies.

Yeah, ours always graze under the bird feeders.  Cool, ain't it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2015, 04:04:06 pm »

Yeah, ours always graze under the bird feeders.  Cool, ain't it?
Very. We've got a lot of wildlife this year. Hummingbirds Finches Doves Quail, and lots of deer.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2015, 05:17:21 pm »
Evil things.  All the leaves are gone from the two hops plants in my driveway.  The bines are fine, the little stems are fine... no leaves, though. 

I blame deer.

I found that when the plants are young they'll eat the leaves, but at least with mine as they matured the deer left them alone.

Yeah, once they get some age on them and turn a little woody, they usually leave them alone.  Not as tender I guess.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 09:12:31 pm »
Just pulled into the house. Herd of young ones in the yard... Many with nice points, but still velvety. So weird how small the deer are down here in Texas. Used to big white tails and muley in Kansas and Nebraska. Those will demolish a truck like a moose or feed a family for a few months. These babies might make BBQ for a couple of weekends.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2015, 09:20:53 pm »
I'd be hard pressed not to harvest venison...  I appreciate the close ties, but around here we harvest the critters.  When in season, of course.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2015, 10:18:11 pm »
I have many times, but the older and lazier I get I tend to just enjoy watching them. Might fill a tag this fall though. I've been seeing a bachelor group of six to eight legal bucks frequently

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2015, 10:25:33 pm »
This is a HOA controlled gated community. All the retired folk feed them, yet they bed in our yard. At least they largely disappear during the day. They could at least mow the yard while here...
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot