Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using Mint  (Read 2454 times)

Offline FunkyMonkey

• 1st Kit
Using Mint
« on: June 10, 2015, 08:36:41 am »
Im in the process of planning a steam beer and the hops should give a sorta of minty aroma off of it(this is what I've read.) I like the sound of a twist of mint, so i was wondering if putting a few mint leaves at the end of a boil will push a minty smell.
Bottled: Cider and Cali Common
Fermenting: White House Honey Porter
Planning: Rosewater/ Turkish Delight Brown Ale?

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Using Mint
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 08:39:23 am »
I used mint in combination with northern brewer some time ago but it was not for a steam beer. I don't remember the result which means any impact from the mint was probably minimal. If you pursue this, I would go very light on the mint and throw it in at the end of the boil.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline FunkyMonkey

• 1st Kit
Using Mint
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 08:42:07 am »
Thats what I thought, I just didn't want to go to crazy and make it taste like a stick of gum.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 08:45:16 am »
Im in the process of planning a steam beer and the hops should give a sorta of minty aroma off of it(this is what I've read.) I like the sound of a twist of mint, so i was wondering if putting a few mint leaves at the end of a boil will push a minty smell.

I'd advise you to find an anchor and try it first.  You might be surprised at how there's really no mint flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 08:47:25 am »
Thats what I thought, I just didn't want to go to crazy and make it taste like a stick of gum.

Exactly. Maybe mix some fresh chopped mint with the hops for a late addition? As far as amounts I am not really sure but maybe keep it close to 1/4 oz to be safe.

Another option would be making a tincture with vodka and adding it at packaging. You will be able to control its impact much easier this way...

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 10:53:22 am »
I think of Perle and Triple Perle as more minty than Northern Brewer but IMO none have a distinct mint flavor that appears in the beer.

If you are going to use mint be sparing with your addition. A little mint goes a long way. Also be mindful of the type of mint you are using. Some, like chocolate mint, have an assertive menthol character that might taste more like a menthol cigarette than mint.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline FunkyMonkey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 02:53:14 pm »
i think the tincture might be a way to experiment with, its fresh grown mint in my garden so I think the flavor of it should be alright

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 03:32:12 pm »
Keep us posted on your impressions of the final beer. I find mint to be an interesting ingredient in beer. It is probably better that it wasn't noticeable in my beer as I had a lot of other things going on ingredient-wise.

Offline FunkyMonkey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 06:04:06 pm »
I'll keep this posted

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 10:01:56 pm »

I'd advise you to find an anchor and try it first.  You might be surprised at how there's really no mint flavor.
+1 - I've gotten some of that "mint" character from certain hops, but it's not like spearmint or peppermint. It's more of an herbal thing - reminds me more of Ricola cough drops or horehound candy. And I get none of from the Anchor in my hand right now. The bittering has a nice bite to it, and there is some herbal hop character, but the flavor is primarily driven by pale malt and fermentation character.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 05:53:23 am »

+1 - I've gotten some of that "mint" character from certain hops, but it's not like spearmint or peppermint. It's more of an herbal thing - reminds me more of Ricola cough drops or horehound candy. And I get none of from the Anchor in my hand right now. The bittering has a nice bite to it, and there is some herbal hop character, but the flavor is primarily driven by pale malt and fermentation character.

+2.  It's not a spearmint/peppermint character. I think you'll like your beer a whole lot better without using any mint.  My $0.02.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 06:37:52 am »
I guess it depends on if the OP is trying to clone Steam, or enter a Cal Common in a contest, or just have fun with a beer.

Personally, I find no mint in Steam either but I understand what the guidelines author was trying to say. Its just part of the problem with trying to explain certain beer characteristics by comparison to other things. Its sort of like mint, but its exactly like NB hops. 

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 12:35:06 pm »
Yeah, when I brew with Norther Brewer hops I get a woodsy/herbal/slight minty-ness (word?).  But as Hoosier stated definitely not a peppermint thing, more like earthy woodsy. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 12:53:13 pm »
And I wasn't trying to discourage somebody from experimenting with ingredients or techniques - I do it all the time. But aside from the Stone chocolate mint stout that was arguably pretty decent, every other mint beer I've tried was not something I'd want more than one of, if that. Doesn't mean somebody shouldn't try it to see what they think, though.
Jon H.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 01:55:11 pm »
510 brewing made a killer peppermint porter at Christmas time a few years back.  At first it didn't sound appealing to me.  But when I tasted it - WOW!  So I too approve of experimentation.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­