Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using Mint  (Read 2455 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Using Mint
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 03:49:33 pm »
My buddy helped formulate a chocolate mint sweet stout recipe for a local brewpub.  His home-brewed version was excellent and the brewpub version was just as good.  I believe they called it Peppermint Patty Stout and released it around Christmas time 

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 06:14:57 pm »
Maybe it's just me, but the "minty/herbal" flavor I get from certain hops strikes me as more of a Thai basil sort of minty-ness.

If you're unfamiliar with Thai basil, it's very different from Italian basil, far less pungent. In fact, mint is the preferred substitute, italian basil can be too harsh for certain Thai dishes.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline FunkyMonkey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 09:29:06 pm »
I guess it depends on if the OP is trying to clone Steam, or enter a Cal Common in a contest, or just have fun with a beer.

Personally, I find no mint in Steam either but I understand what the guidelines author was trying to say. Its just part of the problem with trying to explain certain beer characteristics by comparison to other things. Its sort of like mint, but its exactly like NB hops.
I'm definitely going for experimentation and for fun, no contest for me yet
Bottled: Cider and Cali Common
Fermenting: White House Honey Porter
Planning: Rosewater/ Turkish Delight Brown Ale?

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 10:30:54 am »
I agree with those saying the mint quality is definitely more of the herbal flavor from mint leaves and less of the tingle/mouth sensation we get from associations of mint.

I've used mint a few times and I've had the best results with using it in the secondary. Mint is very subtle and the aroma and flavor fades very quickly (I lose the majority of my mint quality in about 3 weeks). IMO, you will have no mint flavor or aroma left post-fermentation, if you add it in the boil. I would chop then muddle the mint in a secondary vessel or in a pint glass Transfer the beer on top of it and let it sit for a few days like a dry hop. Another way to do this would be chopping and muddling tons of mint in a mason jar and then filling it with vodka. Letting that soak and every time you lose the mint aroma or flavor, add more. Depends on your system and what you're looking for. Good luck!
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"