Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2016 Location  (Read 17288 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: NHC 2016 Location
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 08:39:04 am »
Looks like my first NHC will be 2017
The AHA is looking at a West Coast (2015), East Coast (2016), Mid-section (2017) cadence.

Coming to flyover country, Jim?
But my experience in the states between Massachusetts and North Carolina was not good. Way too many people. Freaks me out!

+1  I love rural Washington.

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 08:48:00 am »
ROAD TRIP!

We're in!
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 08:52:22 am »
The AHA is looking at a West Coast (2015), East Coast (2016), Mid-section (2017) cadence.

I'd be up for that. I've been in every state but Hawaii, Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire. But my experience in the states between Massachusetts and North Carolina was not good. Way too many people. Freaks me out!

Seems to me a trip to New England would all but complete your list, saving Hawaii for last.  Most of northern NE (NH, VT, ME) have their populated areas, but there are places you could go where you won't see people for miles.  Some great beer out this way too. 

This weekend is the start of the annual Bike Week in Laconia, in the lakes region of NH.  They're expecting about 400,000 people during the week.  I don't ride so I tend to avoid the area...NH roads were not designed for this volume of traffic.  Would that be too crowded for you?
I went to bike week when I was 18 with my friend and his Dad. They put their boat on Lake Winnipesauke. It was crazy, 3 of us drank 4 cases of bud cans and a bottle of vodka in one day and saw tons of public sex and nudity. I imagine its tamer now?

I think so...you don't usually hear a lot about it on the news.  But then again, what happens at bike week, stays at bike week.

I think the actual name for the 8th grade thing is "Promotion".  But it's a big ceremony.  They are going from the one building middle school to Pinkerton Academy (private school but our town's high school) which looks like a college campus.

Kindergarten graduations aren't that bad.  It is a move up from one lifestyle to another.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 08:59:46 am »

I'd be up for that. I've been in every state but Hawaii, Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire. But my experience in the states between Massachusetts and North Carolina was not good. Way too many people. Freaks me out!

Seems to me a trip to New England would all but complete your list, saving Hawaii for last.  Most of northern NE (NH, VT, ME) have their populated areas, but there are places you could go where you won't see people for miles.  Some great beer out this way too. 

This weekend is the start of the annual Bike Week in Laconia, in the lakes region of NH.  They're expecting about 400,000 people during the week.  I don't ride so I tend to avoid the area...NH roads were not designed for this volume of traffic.  Would that be too crowded for you?
Well, in the county I live in there are an average of 10 people per square mile, and thats really pushing it for me.
Baltimore is about 7,700 per square mile. Nnnnnnnn no thanks.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:57:36 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 12:31:22 pm »
Ugh still so early. Really screws over teachers.

Agreed.  It is tough to get those days off when prepping for exams and proctoring them are rolling on. 

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 08:17:43 am »

The Philly conference was great.  I rolled a couple extra vacation days into 4th of July and had almost 2 weeks off. 

I just looked at the calendar and this falls on the night of my son's 8th grade graduation.  Unless we get 3 snow days we have to make up, I think I'm going to have to skip next year too.  COME ON SNOWSTORMS!!
I can't believe 8th grade graduation is a thing now! My son is only 24 and that wasn't done when he finished 8th grade. I don't remember anything before finishing High School even CALLED "graduating". They make kid's and therefore parents lives so busy and stressful these days. I'm glad my kid is grown up.

I'm 34 and I don't remember these graduation ceremonies except the one at the end of high school. I seem to recall at the end of elementary school we had a pizza party or something on the last day of school as a celebration but that was just the students and the teachers. Otherwise getting summer break was your graduation ceremony. Now I see friends on facebook attending kindergarten graduation ceremonies. Apparently they do these ceremonies every year in school around here.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2015, 05:30:15 pm »

+1 Bummer! This would be a great location for me, but a bit too close to the end of the school year. I'm hoping for a year without snow, then I might be out in time to make it.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 11:13:13 am »

+1 Bummer! This would be a great location for me, but a bit too close to the end of the school year. I'm hoping for a year without snow, then I might be out in time to make it.
Yeah it seems like a decent % of homebrewers are teachers and have limited options of they want to attend the NHC the post few years since it moved up a week.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 12:46:12 pm »
My last one was Philly and that was before they moved it back a couple weeks.  I was able to take off the very last day to make it work. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 02:13:23 pm »

Yeah it seems like a decent % of homebrewers are teachers and have limited options of they want to attend the NHC the post few years since it moved up a week.

Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't....in the past there have been complaints about it conflicting with Father's Day when it's later.  I'd guess there are more fathers than teachers in the AHA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 02:38:21 pm »

Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't....in the past there have been complaints about it conflicting with Father's Day when it's later.  I'd guess there are more fathers than teachers in the AHA.
Lol yeah I didn't think about fathers day... But really I see that as much less of a conflict than 'stuck at work'
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 03:51:54 pm »
Hey, that could even be your "fathers" day present! 

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 04:52:26 pm »
Hey, that could even be your "fathers" day present!
Indeed.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2015, 03:33:43 pm »
Can the south get some love? I heard Tampa has one or two good breweries  ;D.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2015, 04:47:01 pm »

There is a solution for all the teachers who want to go to NHC..... come teach in Iowa..... we were done May 22nd this year ;D  We start mid august, and we don't get spring break or many other breaks during the year.   But, being done early....... priceless.

I have 2 sister who live in Baltimore.... so, might have to shoot for making it next year.