Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: RV Trip 2015  (Read 5864 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
RV Trip 2015
« on: June 12, 2015, 01:09:29 pm »
So here's a rough outline of our agenda. I am looking for any suggestions at our stopping points or places that we need to make stops for.
     Depart                           Arrive
Lawrenceburg,IN             Peoria, IL
Peoria                           Forest City,IA
Forest City                    Badlands, Black Hills, Mt Rushmore, Deadwood South Dakota
Badlands, etc                 Buffalo Bill State park, Cody Wyoming
Cody, Wyoming              Yellowstone Natl Park, WY
Yellowstone                   Grand Teton Natl Park, WY
Grand Teton                  Nephi, Utah
Kaibab CampRVillage on the North Rim Grand Canyon, AZ
Grand Canyon                Boulder City for Hoover Dam
Boulder city                   Las Vegas for RV drop off then about 24 hours in Vegas

Not sure of exact routes, but likely the most direct routes between destinations. I know we are trying to stop at Monks House of Ale Repute in Sioux Falls, SD. Really just looking for anything else I should schedule on our route. We have several nights in Yellowstone and Grand Canyon, most others are simply over night stays. Any family friendly hangout suggestions are appreciated. 43 hours in an RV over 2200 miles (just between destinations, not counting sight seeing,) 3 fighting kids, I will NEED/WANT some good beer every night and cant bring enough homebrew due pre and post RV constraints: 5 in a minivan to IA, then Flying home from Vegas. Whatever you think will be important to see, maybe not as important as Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon,Hoover Dam, etc; all of which I have never seen.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
Re: RV Trip 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 01:30:27 pm »
What a great trip.  If you have time Jackson Hole, WY is great.  shopping kids beers  entertainment for all ages. 

Offline 69franx

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 02:06:57 pm »
Thanks, have always wanted to ski Jackson hole, but have not done much skiing I  the last 20 years. Is it close to our route roughly? The RV is a rental, with 2500 miles, which we are already planning on being over, but can't afford too many more extra miles. I'm not in front of a map right now. It will check it out
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 02:18:19 pm »
Thanks, have always wanted to ski Jackson hole, but have not done much skiing I  the last 20 years. Is it close to our route roughly? The RV is a rental, with 2500 miles, which we are already planning on being over, but can't afford too many more extra miles. I'm not in front of a map right now. It will check it out
Its ON your route. When you leave GTNP you are there

Offline 69franx

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 02:19:47 pm »
Thanks Jim, may have to talk the missus into another stop
Frank L.

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 02:29:33 pm »
Jackson is just barely south of Teton National Park, right at the south entrance if I remember. You will feel like your returning to civilization when you get to Jackson Hole after the desolation of the parks.  Must have went out there 10 years in a row for whitewater rafting and camping, when I was young.   Make sure you see the Upper and Lower Falls in Yellowstone...The south end and central part of Yellowstone was pretty crowded. I really liked the north end at Mammoth Hot Springs and into Gardner, MO. I'll never forget the buffalo sleeping in the flower bed as we walked up to the hotel there. Around the East Entrance you'll see wolf packs, antelope, bear, tons of bison, elk and moose if your into wildlife. Need a driver?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 02:46:38 pm »
Badlands is cool but not much to do there. Took me about an hour to see all I needed to see.

On the way from the Black Hills to Cody, Devil's Tower is well worth the detour.

Which way are you going to Cody? We take 14 from just north of Sheridan. But the Big Horns are no joke. The west side is 10% for 10 miles. There aren't too many grades like that. Fun on a bike but might be white knuckles in an RV.

Cody has a great wild west museum.

Yellowstone and GT are must see, but in my opinion the best park in the Country is Glacier. My avatar is Terri and I on the Harley going down the east side of the Going to the Sun road. There is nothing better than riding a Harley over Logan Pass.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 02:57:15 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline 69franx

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 03:11:29 pm »
Jim if we like this trip, we are already planning on a more northerly route out of Forest City IA to pacific northwest, including a stop in Glacier, and dropping g RV off in San Francisco
Frank L.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 04:01:06 pm »
Fun times. Next year we are taking the trailer to a remote dry camp on the north fork of the Flathead, just about 3 miles outside of the Camas Road entrance to Glacier. Just going to flop down, drink beer, and listen to wolves for a week.

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 04:11:35 pm »
Peoria has a brewery called Peoria brewing company.  Check them out. 
http://peoriabrewingcompany.com

Offline 69franx

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 07:41:11 pm »
Jim it looks like from Sheridan, we are briefly on 14 but then switch to 310, but good looking out. This is a re-location RV rental, and I've never driven one before, so slow and steady, not to mention no white knuckle roads, is the key for me. Its a 25' class C motor home, not sure of class but its built on a truck frame, driven not towed
Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 07:42:28 pm »
Also Jim, is Devil's Tower the peak in Close Encounters of the Third Kind?
Never Mind, I just remembered how to google, yes it is
Frank L.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 07:45:53 pm »
Yup, if your going to sheridan then west thats the road. You'll be fine and its beautiful. If you see a sign saying 10% 10 miles, take it seriously.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 07:55:39 pm »
Sounds like an awesome trip, Frank!
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 08:04:31 pm »
Thanks Jon. Boy its awfully quiet on here this week. Whats going on?  ;) Maybe I can catch up on what I have missed here recently, I have 5 pages of unread posts, just been out in the field at work the last 2 weeks and have not had much screen time. Baltimore is realistically withing driving distance, so I have already told SWMBO that I want to make that one of our summer trips next year.
Frank L.