Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can I check my brew??  (Read 1351 times)

Offline benbeck1990

• 1st Kit
Can I check my brew??
« on: June 12, 2015, 04:58:50 pm »
First brew going on day six right now. It's the mangrove jacks spiced apple cider five gallon kit. It says I should let it ferment for at least six days.

I have noticed a new beer smell from the carboy since yesterday.

Is it against a rule, or ruin my batch if I pop it open and test the gravity??

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Can I check my brew??
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 05:14:10 pm »
Do you have an airlock on it? If so is it still bubbling at all? Normally if theres no bubbling at all, and it looks to be clearing up, then it might be done and it makes sense to measure gravity.

Offline benbeck1990

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 06:07:20 pm »
I do have an airlock on it, I should wait till the odor is gone and bubbling has finished to open it up and check gravity?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 06:44:57 pm »
If its bubbling most likely its not done so the gravity sample would be kind of a waste. I'd wait till it stops bubbling at least. Also, a lot of brewing recipes have days/weeks scheduled.  Ignore them, they are ballpark only, and probably only represent what the recipe writer usually sees. Yeast cant read calendars and rarely follow the same schedule every time. I look for lack of airlock activity, then lack of activity in the fermenter. If theres no bubbles and it looks like the yeast are settling out of solution, its getting towards done.

Offline benbeck1990

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 07:31:31 pm »
Awesome possum. Thanks man.

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 07:35:20 pm »
There is no reason not to test the gravity of your brew, at any time.  Plus especially as a new brewer, testing and tasting your beer as it ferments will only give you more information and understanding of your beer and the brewing process.  Just practice good sanitation with a thief to pull the sample.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline Unconnected

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 09:19:37 pm »
This post is slightly old, but wanted to throw out an idea. I pull a pilot bottle when I put it into the FV. I plug the neck with a paper towel. This bottle already has the yeast and will ferment 'like' the rest of it. I used this for gravity readings until I am ready to bottle. I take final gravity from the FV at bottling.

Once it settles down I plan bottling day, and chill the pilot bottle for drinking/sampling, if it is in good shape. This way I can keep the opening of the FV to a minimum.

Sent from my Nexus 6