Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: River Cruising  (Read 4160 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
River Cruising
« on: June 13, 2015, 08:42:26 pm »
I'm daydreaming of a trip. Has anyong done a Viking River Cruise? What im looking for is sight seeing with lots of classic beer readily available. Viking seems to talk a lot about wine with little mention of beer. I sure like the idea of just stepping off the boat, seeing what I need to see and sampling some beer, then get back on the boat. Next stop...

If you have experience with Belgium/Germany beer trips, and could only go once and could only go for 7-10 days, what would you suggest? Keep in mind that sights are probably just as important as the beer, breweries aren't necessary though one or two would be awesome, and I'd pick history over shopping any day.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: River Cruising
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 07:34:49 am »
I have seen the ships when I was in Reingensburg. I am cheep. I was traveling by car thou. They look quite fancy.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 07:48:24 am »
Ya they are about $250 per day per person not counting airfare. Pipe dream

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 10:07:15 am »
You could hit Koeln, Duesseldrof, Bamberg, and Regensberg on one of those. It doesn't look appealing to me.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 11:14:03 am »
From a quality standpoint, I understand that viking is one of the top cruise options. I believe they have one of the highest crew:guest ratios.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 02:15:53 pm »
I think a Viking river cruise for two of us, with airfare, and maybe a couple t shirts would be a $10k week. That's not happening.

How about the beertrips.com guy? Have any of you gone with him? Seems speedy too but at least he hauls you to breweries every day.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 06:52:19 am »
Skip Germany. They don't have Belgian beer there.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 07:02:20 am »
How about the beertrips.com guy?
$2895 for 10 days in Belgium without the flight, that's a lot of money. Just hop on a plane and come to Belgium. OK, this requires some more preparation, but you'll see enough interesting stuff. Plus, for chrissake, Belgium is not Antarctica. You do not need to be a penguin to survive and enjoy.
Frank P.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 09:06:21 am »
I lived in japan for 2 years, off base, owned a car and everything. Spoke no Japanese. Got along just fine. So you're most likely right that I wouldn't die without a tour guide.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 09:54:21 am »
How well does that Eurail system work? Looks like two adults traveling together could do Germany Luxembourg Belgium france and Ireland for about $900

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 11:35:57 am »
How well does that Eurail system work? Looks like two adults traveling together could do Germany Luxembourg Belgium france and Ireland for about $900
Rail in Europe is great, but it does come with its cons. Primarily time compared to a bargain airline.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 12:53:17 pm »
Rail in Europe is great, but it does come with its cons. Primarily time compared to a bargain airline.
True, but you can see the country from the train, right? Probably the best would be a rental car and hire a designated driver. I guess they call those taxis.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 11:47:51 pm »
The trains take you to the downtown station, where you want to be.

The discount airlines fly in and out of the farthest out airport with cheapest fees. Then you spend time and money getting downtown. The cheap airlines use Hahn airport for Frankfurt, Hahn is in the middle of no where with no public transportation.

That is why trains are still used in Europe for shorter travel, say Koeln to Munich. One would need to research the options.

Edit - to be clear I would fly from Rome to London.

The trains are great for shorter travel.

I would just target Belgium and Germany (maybe Czech Rep.) for a trip. Brussels to Koeln and Duesseldorf, then down to Munich (mostly high speed), Munich to Nuremburg (high speed), Nuremberg to Bamberg.

Edit 2 - we have bought German rail passes for travel in Germany only. Not so expensive.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:17:28 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 05:03:06 am »

You could try this formula: http://www.eurail.com/eurail-passes/select-pass -  4 adjacent countries (where Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg is one country).

Not sure how Ireland would fit in. In general I'd say it's not the best of countries to visit using public transportation...
Frank P.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 08:12:45 am »
Its a few years out so lots of time to study up.