I'll chime in on my impressions of NHC too.
1. My biggest impression was how well organized it was. That takes a lot of thinking and work.
2. San Diego was a great place for it.
3. As mentioned above, having essentially the whole place was great.
4. The best part of the motel was all the flowers, plants, etc.,
5. The worst part of the motel was maintenance. My wife and I seriously discussed moving to another motel. The bed was total crap.
6. I too thought the seminars were too basic. Some I learned nothing, most I learned one to two factoids
7. This was my first NHC. Everything was very clear as to what was going on except for the final night Social Club. That sounded awful to me. I almost didn't go. If I had known that they would be serving the competition beers I would have taken it easier at dinner (which by the ways was surprisingly excellent). I ended up quite plowed because the beers served at the Social Club were freakin awesome! Seriously the best beer of the week.
In sum, if future NHCs are in driving distance I'll definitely go, but maybe not otherwise. It was very nice meeting forum members though.