Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2015 NHC Impressions  (Read 9685 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: 2015 NHC Impressions
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2015, 12:54:11 pm »
The only one I didn't like was the Intro to Experimentation one.  And the caveat is I loved the ideas they presented, I hated the WAY they presented it, joking off each other, comedy show, circus side show.  Not what I expected from a seminar, but apparently it is those two guys personalities.

Sorry you didn't care for it.  To me, it was welcome relief from all the "take homebrewing too seriously" seminars.  And if you loved the info, then I guess we were successful.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2015, 12:54:48 pm »
Does the original Portland even have enough convention hotel rooms for 5,000 people?

Good point.  There are hotels but scattered around and most likely expensive in June.  Maybe Boston will have to be the New England destination...but that ain't cheap either.  But at least there are tons of hotels near either the Seaport World Trade Center or the Hynes Convention Center.  But again, $$$$$
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2015, 01:24:45 pm »
The only one I didn't like was the Intro to Experimentation one.  And the caveat is I loved the ideas they presented, I hated the WAY they presented it, joking off each other, comedy show, circus side show.  Not what I expected from a seminar, but apparently it is those two guys personalities.

So Denny commented and now here I am, cause of course I am...

It's a tricky line to walk when you do a presentation between too showy/jokey and too dull/dry. I worked for a big entertainment company for a good long while, so I have an inherent bias towards trying to be more entertaining than dry/straight forward. (I think the information tends to stick better even though you can't get as much across.)

Denny, of course, is an old rock and roll roadie and bassist - I don't think he'd know straight if you gave him a yard stick, compass, plumb bob and a laser gyro.

Naturally, the silliness (even our stilted version of silly) isn't for everyone. But hopefully there was enough useful stuff in the midst of it all that it was still worthwhile.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2015, 03:00:52 pm »

So Denny commented and now here I am, cause of course I am...

It's a tricky line to walk when you do a presentation between too showy/jokey and too dull/dry. I worked for a big entertainment company for a good long while, so I have an inherent bias towards trying to be more entertaining than dry/straight forward. (I think the information tends to stick better even though you can't get as much across.)

Denny, of course, is an old rock and roll roadie and bassist - I don't think he'd know straight if you gave him a yard stick, compass, plumb bob and a laser gyro.

Naturally, the silliness (even our stilted version of silly) isn't for everyone. But hopefully there was enough useful stuff in the midst of it all that it was still worthwhile.

Those of us that know you two would be shocked and dumbfounded if you came out serious with a monotone pendanic delivery. Hey, you might try that for 2 minutes, then say, well that is pretty boring, and cut to the regularly scheduled Drew and Denny show.

Sorry I had to miss this years, I think I was introducing another speaker. Liked last years a bunch.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2015, 03:03:44 pm »
I've done straightforward, info only seminars at NHC before, as well as sat through them.  The doze factor is high.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2015, 07:04:48 pm »
I've done straightforward, info only seminars at NHC before, as well as sat through them.  The doze factor is high.
Death by PowerPoint

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2015, 08:44:36 pm »
<insert a poorly formed joke at Denny's and Drew's expense here, with a slight innuendo toward Marshall>

I enjoyed it, but I also like Monty Python... so I have that going for me. Was great to have some fun...
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2015, 08:37:33 am »
Does the original Portland even have enough convention hotel rooms for 5,000 people?

Not sure about ME, but Portland, OR is working on adding more rooms at the convention center site. 2018 would be very optimistic.
http://www.oregonmetro.gov/public-projects/oregon-convention-center-hotel
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2015, 08:58:59 am »
after several years of attending, having seen most of the topics that are going to be covered, and knowing they'll be online shortly after the conference, I started just picking ones where the best beer would likely be served.  The Mead Panel was a no-brainer, and I think I had 7-8 pours of AleSmith Nut Brown and Speedway Stout at the final seminar on Saturday.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2015, 09:51:57 am »

Good point.  There are hotels but scattered around and most likely expensive in June.  Maybe Boston will have to be the New England destination...but that ain't cheap either.  But at least there are tons of hotels near either the Seaport World Trade Center or the Hynes Convention Center.  But again, $$$$$
Agreed, Boston would have some fantastic locations but I don't think people would be too happy with the price of lodging, food, and beer.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2015, 10:33:46 am »
Yeah, there's a definite price sensitivity that's made getting back to the NorthEast really hard. We got lucky with Philly and the pricing thanks to the economic downturn. I'd personally love for us to get to New England since I miss it at times.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison