Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malting company of Ireland Pale malt  (Read 2189 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Malting company of Ireland Pale malt
« on: June 05, 2015, 08:47:16 pm »
Hey guys just wanted to know what people think of Irish Pale malt. My LHBS says he just got a sack and has a good price on it. He said it is what is used in Guinness and it is from there company any thoughts on it? I think it is officially call Irish Stout Malt or i could be mixing it up with another one from the sane company. Any light  that could be she'd would be greatly appreciated!
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Malting company of Ireland Pale malt
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 08:04:25 am »
Same maltster makes that ale malt, stout malt, lager malt and distilling malt. All different varieties of malted barley.

BSG was giving away samples of the stout malt at GABF last year. I picked some up and used it to make a hoppy lager. I got great extraction from it and the flavor was very soft and worked well for a lager. Less grainy than many pale malts. That matches the maltster's description very well.

All that is to say when the maltster's website says the ale malt is brewed to be sweeter and amber-colored I believe it's probably accurate. I'd suspect it is similar to a maris otter rather than an American pale malt.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline jeffjm

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 01:01:36 pm »
Same maltster makes that ale malt, stout malt, lager malt and distilling malt. All different varieties of malted barley.

BSG was giving away samples of the stout malt at GABF last year. I picked some up and used it to make a hoppy lager. I got great extraction from it and the flavor was very soft and worked well for a lager. Less grainy than many pale malts. That matches the maltster's description very well.

All that is to say when the maltster's website says the ale malt is brewed to be sweeter and amber-colored I believe it's probably accurate. I'd suspect it is similar to a maris otter rather than an American pale malt.
I spoke to the BSG rep about this malt at last year's NHC. He saw no problem with subbing it for Maris Otter, except that you might need to use a little less because of greater extract potential. 

Of course, his job is to sell the stuff, so YMMV.
I set out running but I take my time.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 09:30:47 am »
Thanks for the feedback. I did end up picking up a sack of it because it sounded like a well versatile malt. As far as the higher extract ability, how do you think I should go about adjusting a recipe that originally was going to use MO. I have tried to find more detail on it like it's pg/p but have had little luck.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout