Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1 day layover in London  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
1 day layover in London
« on: August 09, 2018, 06:08:19 pm »
I might have a 1 day layover in London near the end of this month. Where can I go to get good cask ale using public transit/Uber?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
1 day layover in London
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 07:18:54 pm »
Is it Heathrow?  CAMRA runs website that identifies pubs with real ale. https://whatpub.com/search?q=Heathrow+Airport&lat=51.4686&lng=-0.460636&r=10&t=t&p=1&features=Pub%2COpen%2CRealAle

There are several pubs in the airport that serve cask ale but this place is less than a mile away:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: 1 day layover in London
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 07:22:09 pm »
Looks super English! It is Heathrow.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 07:39:31 pm »
I have traveled all over the world and usually ask the locals where to eat, drink, etc...  they know the best places.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 08:10:58 pm »
I have traveled all over the world and usually ask the locals where to eat, drink, etc...  they know the best places.

I once ran out of cash near Heathrow the night before returning to the US. I thought I would be okay. Just pick up the phone in the lobby that connects to the taxi service and use my credit card to get a ride to the airport. But, the taxi didn’t accept credit. My ATM card didn’t work in the UK because I hadn’t told my bank to let me use it abroad. The taxi took cash only. I sent him packing and begged a ride from some other hotel guests. The first few said no. The guys that ultimately gave me a ride were wearing the yellow stripes of runway crew. I figured that meant they were going the right direction. They took me to a parking garage where they usually parked. Then we rode a bus to a train station that connected to Heathrow for free. They told me to go that way for the train. They went another direction for work (to get on the runway).

The funny thing is, they were all English, but, from outside London. I could only understand one of them. The others had such thick accents I never knew what they were saying. One older man talked to me the whole way. I never understood a word he said. I just smiled and nodded.

I got to the airport in plenty of time and had breakfast in a club lounge. They had a fridge full of Fullers London Pride. I stuffed two of them in my carry on and brought them home :)

- formerly alestateyall.