Author Topic: Ireland  (Read 3757 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »
Be sure your CC covers car insurance or buy it. If you don't scratch up the car I would be surprised. I just about wore out the wheel covers on one side. We also hit an animal while there which ran out in front of me. I had walk away insurance so no worries and no added charges.
This reminds me of a time I was driving a rental down from the top of Sequoia National Park and one of the wheel covers flew off around a fast curve.  I pulled over to look for it and about the same time another car pulled over to see if everything was OK.  I told him about the cover and he said he had one just like it at his house, just down the hill.  I followed him and sure enough he had an exact match.  I was really afraid the rental car company was going to charge me for broken or missing wheel covers, but they just said it happens all the time on that particular model. 
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2017, 03:31:06 PM »
When we went to Ireland no CC covered the insurance. If you damage the car, and you will, they can charge your CC up to the value of the car without the insurance. I recently received a notification from one of my cards they now cover rental in Ireland. I figured the walk away insurance was a better deal than having my CC charged for the damage.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2017, 07:40:26 PM »
Be sure your CC covers car insurance or buy it. If you don't scratch up the car I would be surprised. I just about wore out the wheel covers on one side. We also hit an animal while there which ran out in front of me. I had walk away insurance so no worries and no added charges.

I scratched the hell out of the wheel covers on the rental I had in the Lake District in England. Narrow roads + stone walls + crazy tractor drivers. I was sure I was going to get hit with a big charge, but the kid who checked me in didn't give them a second look.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2017, 04:50:42 AM »
It looks like the car rental itself is pretty cheap at $95 for a week, but the insurance is about $25 per day!  I may have to find a different solution.  To be honest I never buy rental insurance, but I guess I have been pretty lucky.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2017, 05:49:14 AM »
It looks like the car rental itself is pretty cheap at $95 for a week, but the insurance is about $25 per day!  I may have to find a different solution.  To be honest I never buy rental insurance, but I guess I have been pretty lucky.
I never do either - in the US. In England and Germany I get the insurance.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2017, 07:17:14 PM »
We are on our way back from a week in Ireland now I thought I would share some notes.
I ended up getting an international day pass through my cell phone carrier (at&t) for $10 each day that it was used.  That way I could use the stuff I was already familiar with.  My iPhone worked well as a gps when needed.
We flew non stop on the red eye into Dublin and stayed there two nights near Trinity College.  Everything was within walking distance from our Airbnb and we were very good tourists.  We toured the Old Library and the Book of Kells - enjoyed the library more, but it was on the same ticket; toured Dublin Castle - pretty interesting; the Beatty Library/museum is just behind it and was worth the time spent; we did a tour of Jameson's Old Distillery and then had drinks at their bar; visited several churches as well as several pubs.  Most bars have a selection of mass market lagers and a couple of Guinness taps, and there seemed to be some feaux crafts by the big brewers as well, but we found that Galway Bay Brewing Co. has three or four pubs in Dublin, all with good craft beer.
We then got an uber back to the airport and picked up a rental car. It came as a surprise that if you decline the insurance they hold €5000 on your credit card.  Pro tip: if driving in a country with right hand drive, rent your car on Sunday morning when there is less traffic.  It takes a little getting used to and I am glad we didn't start driving right away, jet-lagged in downtown Dublin.
We drove to Northern Ireland with a stop for coffee in Belfast and then a really scenic drive along the north coast.  We stopped at the Giant's Causeway, which is spectacular, then drove to Derry/Londonderry, an old city with a completely intact ancient wall.
On to Galway, which has a very international feel to it and a booming tourist industry.  Tons of pubs and restaurants to enjoy in the Old Spanish Quarter.  Through a mutual friend we met up with the brewer from Galway Bay, who helped us with pubs for the rest of our trip.  As it was in Dublin, unless you want a Guinness or a "lager" you have to do a little research.  At this point I finally found a copy of CAMRA's 2018 Good Beer Guide and was disappointed that it did not include Ireland. 
After two nights we left Galway for Killarney, visiting the Cliffs of Maher on the way, which was in a cloud at the time but still incredibly impressive, then taking the ferry to save miles and time.  Killarney is cute and walkable and we found a really cool whiskey bar where we did flights of Irish whiskies.
We drove to Dingle, had coffee and then drove the loop through the peninsula.  Best.Drive.Ever.
The drive back to Dublin was mostly M-roads (motorways) and N-roads (wide two-lanes).  We stopped about halfway at Rock of Cashel to walk the ruins of a mideival church.  Altogether we drove a bit over 1200Km in a three cylinder Nissan.  The country is small enough that the longest travel day for us between cities was about three and a half hours of driving.
I had a Beamish stout last night at a pub in operation since 1766.  Nice.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2017, 08:13:22 PM »
Sounds like an awesome trip, Jeff. Being of Irish heritage,  I can't wait to get over there someday.
Jon H.

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2017, 01:12:05 PM »
Dingle was wonderful. Wish we had spent more time there than we did.

Offline theDarkSide

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2017, 05:27:07 AM »
Agreed...Dingle was great...still don't want to drive those roads though.
BNArmy CLUB Member
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2017, 06:00:04 AM »
Driving wasn't bad most of the time. The most difficult thing for me was shifting with the left hand and dimming the lights since that was on the left hand on the car we had rented. It was impossible to shift and manipulate the lights. So rain+night+hills+curves+oncoming traffic = difficult driving. Of course you could rent an automatic, but turn in your man card. ;)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2017, 07:23:18 AM »
Driving wasn't bad most of the time. The most difficult thing for me was shifting with the left hand and dimming the lights since that was on the left hand on the car we had rented. It was impossible to shift and manipulate the lights. So rain+night+hills+curves+oncoming traffic = difficult driving. Of course you could rent an automatic, but turn in your man card. ;)
The shifting with the left hand is easy enough for me, as I drove many right drive cars as an automotive engineer. We have a bet as to how long it will take me to turn on the wipers when I intend to use the turn signals. Usually happens early in the trip.

The column and stalks are usually common between left and right drive vehicles to save parts costs. That is why the turn signals were hard to use while shifting. High end vehicles may be different, but I didn’t work on those.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National

Offline theDarkSide

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2017, 07:24:39 AM »
BNArmy CLUB Member
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2017, 12:31:16 PM »
I had no trouble shifting and already knew about the blinkers/wipers location, so I made a conscious effort to use them properly.  Two things I noticed about the car though - if you used the turn signal stalk, but did not push it all the way until it clicked, the blinker flashed about 3 times and stopped.  I found this very convenient for lane changes and my car had no neutral safety (clutch) switch, so you had to make sure it was not in gear before engaging the starter.  I thought all cars had that, but I guess it's just all U.S. cars.
Another thing we noticed was how polite all the drivers seemed to be.  Even in the city, we hardly ever heard a horn.
I don't think I drove at night at all.  Walking to pubs was every evening's entertainment.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2017, 02:15:31 PM »
I had no trouble shifting and already knew about the blinkers/wipers location, so I made a conscious effort to use them properly.  Two things I noticed about the car though - if you used the turn signal stalk, but did not push it all the way until it clicked, the blinker flashed about 3 times and stopped.  I found this very convenient for lane changes and my car had no neutral safety (clutch) switch, so you had to make sure it was not in gear before engaging the starter.  I thought all cars had that, but I guess it's just all U.S. cars.
Another thing we noticed was how polite all the drivers seemed to be.  Even in the city, we hardly ever heard a horn.
I don't think I drove at night at all.  Walking to pubs was every evening's entertainment.

The clutch interlock is a US requirement. In Germany I was told “our driver’s aren’t stupid”.

My US car has the intermittent turn signal, but ir was designed to meet EU requirements. That was a feature I remember back in the late 90s in Germany.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National