Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hard Plumbing LPG. Part Names?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Hatefly

• 1st Kit
Hard Plumbing LPG. Part Names?
« on: June 17, 2015, 05:39:14 pm »
Hello, first real thread here (aside from the Wellcome Thread)

I'm in the process of building a direct fired RIMS System. I'm using a 96" stainless prep table rated at 1200# and will be installing 3 60k Hurricane burners. The Mash will be controlled by a ToP controller.

I would like to hard plumb the propane to all 3 burners. I have the orifice connections for the burners already but aside from knowing I need Black Pipe I'm confused on what fittings to get to actually connect the pipe to the regulator and then to the burners.

I'll be using a regulator with a 3/8 ID Flair, so I'm assuming on that side I'll need a Flair to NPT fitting correct?

Now, from there I get really confused on what to get and where to find it! Does anyone know what sort of ball valve I should use to control the gas flow to the burners? In addition, is the connection that goes from the orifice to the ball valve called a Pig Tail?

Thanks so much for the help folks! This is my last step to figure out before I start building. I tried to find a how-to guide for this, but came up short.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 05:41:11 pm by Hatefly »

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Hard Plumbing LPG. Part Names?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:07:25 pm »
First, if you're not sure what you're doing, gas pipe may not be a good diy project.

Second, you're not limited to black iron.  Schedule M soft copper with flare fittings is code in many areas and is easier to work with- I'd be reluctant to use it over black iron in this application.

Third- air test whatever you do

Offline Hatefly

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 08:36:44 pm »
First, if you're not sure what you're doing, gas pipe may not be a good diy project.

Second, you're not limited to black iron.  Schedule M soft copper with flare fittings is code in many areas and is easier to work with- I'd be reluctant to use it over black iron in this application.

Third- air test whatever you do
I never shy away from DIY!

I was going to use black pipe because it's way cheaper than copper and my father in law busted my solder rig. Plus black pipe holds paint better than copper.

Yes, I would test all fittings more than once. I've built a few water cooled PCs so testing like that is in me now.

Essentially I'm trying to confirm with the knowledge base that is this forum on the best and appropriate method of achieving this goal.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 08:42:30 pm »
I share Greatplains concern, but anyway... you may find it easier to use a flexible line like that used to connect dryers and stoves to make the final connection between that valve and the burner or elsewhere in your system.

I believe you are correct as to pig tail.

I don't think it matters what kind of ball valve you use other than it should be rated for gas service.  I don't recall getting any special ball valves for plumbing gas to my burners.  Did you have specific kinds in mind?

Yes you will likely needs a flare to NPT fitting if you connect the pipe to the regulator.

Offline Hatefly

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 08:47:49 pm »
I share Greatplains concern, but anyway... you may find it easier to use a flexible line like that used to connect dryers and stoves to make the final connection between that valve and the burner or elsewhere in your system.

I believe you are correct as to pig tail.

I don't think it matters what kind of ball valve you use other than it should be rated for gas service.  I don't recall getting any special ball valves for plumbing gas to my burners.  Did you have specific kinds in mind?

Yes you will likely needs a flare to NPT fitting if you connect the pipe to the regulator.
Well, gotta start someplace right? I'm not really worried about it. I know enough to be safe at least, it's just the particulars.

Yes, the Flexiline tube. It's usually the yellow one correct? I'll use that as long as it gets the job done and is safe. I think that would actually be best and look cleaner actually.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 10:18:30 pm »
I've seen it in yellow and in shiny steel. 

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 06:30:12 am »
I assume what you're calling flex line is sold as Gastite here.  It's corrugated stainless with a yellow neoprene (?) sleeve over it.  It is not allowed in some areas here after a lightning strike/explosion.

You wouldn't need to solder the soft copper- use flare fittings.  Soft copper is bendable, it's not the rigid tubes used to run water lines.

Not trying to question anyone's abilities but please test and be careful

Offline Hatefly

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 09:28:13 am »
I assume what you're calling flex line is sold as Gastite here.  It's corrugated stainless with a yellow neoprene (?) sleeve over it.  It is not allowed in some areas here after a lightning strike/explosion.

You wouldn't need to solder the soft copper- use flare fittings.  Soft copper is bendable, it's not the rigid tubes used to run water lines.

Not trying to question anyone's abilities but please test and be careful
It's no problem and I appreciate the concern.

And yikes! Lightning? Well, sometimes you just can't do much about Mother Nature.

I'll look into the soft copper. I have seen a bunch of people's rigs that use it. From everything I've read sometimes those can be a bit tricky. Thanks a bunch for the name for the other tube, that should help.

I'll prob have my general contractor buddy come and inspect my work before putting anything to the fire.