Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I like the Brewing Network, but....  (Read 45134 times)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Re: I like the Brewing Network, but....
« Reply #225 on: June 23, 2015, 03:26:55 pm »
General Comment on the national Homebrewers Competition

There has been little if any discussion on how the Competition was run this year in this thread.
There were no comments in the Member's Meeting concerning the Competition this year, as opposed to the lively discussion the two previous years.
Part of me wonders if it would have come up had the 'diversity' topic not already taken up a significant amount of discussion time.

Offline oldstoneface

• 1st Kit
« Reply #226 on: June 23, 2015, 03:30:15 pm »
On ProNight I wore a BN branded hat.  I had 10-12 comments about it.  Mostly bad joke'ish  (from non-BN folks) 
How many of those comments were from your fellow QUAFF members? We have a guy who's been a member of our club for 7+ years, but would always enter comps as the BN (because that is who introduced him to homebrewing), so we always gave him crap over it. Of course, it was all in good fun and was more about local club solidarity than simply because it was the BN. We'd done the same had he entered as QUAFF or the Zealots or some other none-Arizona club. If any of us felt like he was taking offense to our comments, we would have stopped. Of course this year he entered as ASH and didn't have any beers advance so maybe the joke was on us the whole time. :-p

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #227 on: June 23, 2015, 03:31:43 pm »
I think next year I will write down Club of the Year as my club. Im sure to win that way!

Offline lewybrewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #228 on: June 23, 2015, 03:36:46 pm »
On ProNight I wore a BN branded hat.  I had 10-12 comments about it.  Mostly bad joke'ish  (from non-BN folks) 
How many of those comments were from your fellow QUAFF members? We have a guy who's been a member of our club for 7+ years, but would always enter comps as the BN (because that is who introduced him to homebrewing), so we always gave him crap over it. Of course, it was all in good fun and was more about local club solidarity than simply because it was the BN. We'd done the same had he entered as QUAFF or the Zealots or some other none-Arizona club. If any of us felt like he was taking offense to our comments, we would have stopped. Of course this year he entered as ASH and didn't have any beers advance so maybe the joke was on us the whole time. :-p

I get a lot of "Ball Busting" from Quaff members but this was outside those comments.  "How is that a club?" Did you enter under the BN?" type comments.  Im hard skinned, so its all well and good.  Just attempting to point out the different perspective during NHC

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #229 on: June 23, 2015, 03:58:17 pm »
I keep seeing this crop up, and I'll keep repeating this: anything that discourages the average lay brewer from entering their beers should not become the rule. Making COTY weighted in such a way that the lay brewer is a liability is not helpful to the hobby, and will result in real gamesmanship on the part of clubs trying to win.

I'm certainly not anti-BN, though I do think they should expect some of the flak they get because of their business model. Stern-styled radio is going to catch flak, that's kinda the point.

I think this discussion has really run it's course, and is starting to turn into folks taking sides for/against BN.

I still say any rule that is designed to target a specific club is out of line. I think there are several fair ways to solve this problem, but this thread isn't one of them.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #230 on: June 23, 2015, 04:21:30 pm »
I just heard the podcast with the award and the booing. Its pathetic. The BN is not responsible for that, it's an AHA event. Imagine everyone who didn't win Ninkasi booing when they announce who did. My opinion, if you boo'd you need to not go anymore.

Offline lewybrewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #231 on: June 23, 2015, 04:35:05 pm »
I just heard the podcast with the award and the booing. Its pathetic. The BN is not responsible for that, it's an AHA event. Imagine everyone who didn't win Ninkasi booing when they announce who did. My opinion, if you boo'd you need to not go anymore.

Well said Jim. 

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #232 on: June 23, 2015, 05:07:39 pm »
If people want to have a club competition COTY is not it, this is just adding up how many individuals in each club win medals. Why not have a seperate category for  clubs. Each club can enter x number of beers like individuals but maybe the number is higher. If that's not logistically possible then each club just designates which individual entries they want entered. That way it is an actual club activity instead of hundreds of individual efforts with no cooperation or collaboration.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #233 on: June 23, 2015, 06:32:49 pm »
I keep seeing this crop up, and I'll keep repeating this: anything that discourages the average lay brewer from entering their beers should not become the rule. Making COTY weighted in such a way that the lay brewer is a liability is not helpful to the hobby, and will result in real gamesmanship on the part of clubs trying to win.

I'm certainly not anti-BN, though I do think they should expect some of the flak they get because of their business model. Stern-styled radio is going to catch flak, that's kinda the point.

I think this discussion has really run it's course, and is starting to turn into folks taking sides for/against BN.

I still say any rule that is designed to target a specific club is out of line. I think there are several fair ways to solve this problem, but this thread isn't one of them.
The way the COTY was determined changed when the Club Only Competition points went away a few years back. It has been done before.

I must say that my own performance in the NHC competition,when not so good, makes me say I have to make better beer. Clubs should be thinking that way too.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #234 on: June 23, 2015, 08:06:58 pm »
How much booing did the rest of you in attendance hear? I didn't hear a lot; less than some of the previous 4 years. I saw some eyerolls; probably did it myself. I heard some comments. Booing? Sounded like a handful.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #235 on: June 23, 2015, 08:32:34 pm »
How much booing did the rest of you in attendance hear? I didn't hear a lot; less than some of the previous 4 years. I saw some eyerolls; probably did it myself. I heard some comments. Booing? Sounded like a handful.
There was a fair amount, but about usual. I looked to the guy on my left who was keeping track of second round medals by club , and said "first round points".
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
I like the Brewing Network, but....
« Reply #236 on: June 23, 2015, 09:05:37 pm »

Thanks to the Brewing Network one can watch the awards ceremony and decide for herself.  It was streamed live and can be viewed on Livestream on most Smart TV's or any TV with a streaming device such as Roku, Chrome Cast, Fire Stick or Apple TV.  It can also be viewed on mobile devices with the Livestream app or at new.Livestream.com.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #237 on: June 23, 2015, 09:08:36 pm »
I was sitting with QUAF(I am not a member of  any club). I did not hear any booing from their section.  Not much cheering.  But no booing for club of the year.  Loud cheering for  every  other medal  and award.
- Charles

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #238 on: June 23, 2015, 09:11:07 pm »

I was sitting with QUAF(I am not a member of  any club). I did not hear any booing from their section.  Not much cheering.  But no booing for club of the year.  Loud cheering for  every  other medal  and award.

I think that's one reason why Justin specifically singled out QUAFF as being a badass club when he went onstage.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #239 on: June 23, 2015, 09:18:25 pm »
Quote from: udubdawg blink=topic=23504.msg301262#msg301262 date=1435111618

Thanks to the Brewing Network one can watch the awards ceremony and decide for herself.  It was streamed live and can be viewed on Livestream on most Smart TV's or any TV with a streaming device such as Roku, Chrome Cast, Fire Stick or Apple TV.  It can also be viewed on mobile devices with the Livestream app or at new.Livestream.com.

I did that too; still didn't hear that much, but it was more noticeable than in my seat near the center of the room.