Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I like the Brewing Network, but....  (Read 45143 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: I like the Brewing Network, but....
« Reply #360 on: June 26, 2015, 01:07:02 pm »
I am not going to admit to reading this thread in its entirety.  Given how the COTY is determined, it means what it means - size apparently matters or at least helps in this statistically, but it doesn't mean that TBN is any better as a club than any other club nor any worse.  Maybe classifying clubs by various parameters and categories and awarding within the classification might help matters, but I don't think it needs to be like high school athletics, does it?

I am happy that a member of my club won a gold medal in a difficult category and he is validated for what we in the club already knew well - that is, that he is a great homebrewer.  That I personally know him, have talked with him many times and he is an all around great guy, allows me to share in the club's pride for him.  What more is there?  I view brewing as the one area in my life where collaboration and collegiality is co-existent with competition.  Sharing is commonplace and legitimate happiness for successes of others is openly expressed.

Peace and love, all. 

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #361 on: June 26, 2015, 01:15:00 pm »
I am not going to admit to reading this thread in its entirety.  Given how the COTY is determined, it means what it means - size apparently matters or at least helps in this statistically, but it doesn't mean that TBN is any better as a club than any other club nor any worse.  Maybe classifying clubs by various parameters and categories and awarding within the classification might help matters, but I don't think it needs to be like high school athletics, does it?

I am happy that a member of my club won a gold medal in a difficult category and he is validated for what we in the club already knew well - that is, that he is a great homebrewer.  That I personally know him, have talked with him many times and he is an all around great guy, allows me to share in the club's pride for him.  What more is there?  I view brewing as the one area in my life where collaboration and collegiality is co-existent with competition.  Sharing is commonplace and legitimate happiness for successes of others is openly expressed.

Peace and love, all.
Am I reading something on the internet? ;)
Seriously, nice sentiments and for new posters I can say this tone is pretty typical for this forum.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #362 on: June 26, 2015, 04:39:38 pm »
I think it would be cool if COTY was awarded based on some type of actual collaboration or cooperation within the club, so that the club who wins is actually being recognized by their functioning as a club, not just a collection of individuals who may or may not know each other or communicate with each other.

I told myself I was gonna let the thread (eventually) die by its own accord, but since there's no sign of that happening anytime soon (;D), I would offer two definitions :

1/   LETTER OF THE LAW : What BN is justifiably doing within the written rules. BN has made a huge contribution to the homebrewing community, so no dog in the fight on my part.

2/ SPIRIT OF THE LAW :  "I think it would be cool if COTY was awarded based on some type of actual collaboration or cooperation within the club, so that the club who wins is actually being recognized by their functioning as a club, not just a collection of individuals who may or may not know each other or communicate with each other. " In other words, what Pete said.

In short, I think Spirit Of The Law = Level Playing Field. So Dan's analogy of the 1500 lb goalie that completely blocks out the goal is pretty much perfect. Like we need another $0.02.  ;)
Jon H.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #363 on: June 26, 2015, 04:43:24 pm »
"Spirit of the Law," in my mind means we BNers are intentionally trying to take advantage of the rules.  That's what the 1500# goalie example would be.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #364 on: June 26, 2015, 04:45:22 pm »
"Spirit of the Law," in my mind means we BNers are intentionally trying to take advantage of the rules.  That's what the 1500# goalie example would be.

Not my perception of it. Just that the nationwide saturation makes it unavoidable. Again, no axe to grind on my part.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #365 on: June 26, 2015, 05:05:07 pm »

Not my perception of it. Just that the nationwide saturation makes it unavoidable. Again, no axe to grind on my part.
I disagree. The number of entries (200-300 posts ago) wasn't much higher compared to quaff.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #366 on: June 26, 2015, 05:06:59 pm »

Offline Stevie

« Reply #367 on: June 26, 2015, 05:18:12 pm »

I hear he would have entered. If only he had the willpower to not drink all five gallons out of the siphon hose.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #368 on: June 26, 2015, 05:24:56 pm »
Funny, but in the analogy who is the six fingered man?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #369 on: June 26, 2015, 05:26:03 pm »
Funny, but in the analogy you have to admit,  Justin is definitely the Six Fingered Man!

I think we all know who this is
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 05:28:08 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #370 on: June 26, 2015, 05:30:18 pm »
This is the moderator saying that this thread is only Mostly dead

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #371 on: June 26, 2015, 05:41:46 pm »

have fun storming the NHC!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #372 on: June 26, 2015, 07:57:14 pm »

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Stevie

« Reply #373 on: June 26, 2015, 08:01:48 pm »
And to sum up the thread...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #374 on: June 26, 2015, 09:14:14 pm »
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer