General Category > Beer Recipes

Flanders Red - first sour beer - looking for do's and don'ts

(1/2) > >>

redbeerman:
I going to be making my first sour beer soon, a Flanders Red.  Just looking for some advice for recipe and process advise.  Looked at Jamil's and it looks pretty good. 

bluesman:
Flanders tasting notes and info.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/641/1745

dmtaylor:
DO give it plenty of time to get sour.

DON'T reuse any plastic or rubber equipment on later batches unless you want it to turn out sour.  After I made my first sour beer a few years ago, several subsequent batches also turned out unintentionally sour because it is NOT POSSIBLE to sanitize plastic equipment, until I got fed up and just threw it all away and bought new stuff.

bluesman:

--- Quote from: dmtaylor on May 27, 2010, 01:00:17 PM ---DO give it plenty of time to get sour.

DON'T reuse any plastic or rubber equipment on later batches unless you want it to turn out sour.  After I made my first sour beer a few years ago, several subsequent batches also turned out unintentionally sour because it is NOT POSSIBLE to sanitize plastic equipment, until I got fed up and just threw it all away and bought new stuff.

--- End quote ---

This has been my understanding as well.

The bacteria is harbored in the micropores of the plastic walls of the fermenter.  :o

babalu87:
Is not bacteria bacteria?

If the hose/buckets are in good shape you should be able to sanitize them regardless if the bugs were introduced on purpose or not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version