Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Promash Status  (Read 10848 times)

Offline nspake

• Conference
  • 1st Kit
    • ScottishBrewing.com
Promash Status
« on: June 15, 2015, 01:15:35 pm »
Anyone know what the status of Promash is? Website says it will be up on 6-1, which has obviously passed. Does anyone have insight into whether it will be resurrected for newer versions of Windows?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Promash Status
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 01:35:28 pm »
Works fine on both Win 7&8.  I have rumors that Jeff is at work on it, but I have no definite info.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 01:37:53 pm »
Anyone know what the status of Promash is? Website says it will be up on 6-1, which has obviously passed. Does anyone have insight into whether it will be resurrected for newer versions of Windows?

I used to love this software, but finally gave up a few years back.  BeerSmith took a little getting used to, but I love it now.

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 04:08:57 pm »

I used to love this software, but finally gave up a few years back.  BeerSmith took a little getting used to, but I love it now.

+1
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 04:12:25 pm »
I just don't see any reason I'd want to abandon Promash.  It does everything I need to do.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 04:55:54 pm »
Love ProMash.  Name a feature Beer Smith has and ProMash doesn't and I'll show you a feature that is over-simplifying something or hiding important information from you.

Two outside tools that I rely on are Kai's water spreadsheet and Mr Malty's yeast calculator.  But I was under the impression that Beer Smith lacked those or had other, inferior versions.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 05:13:38 pm »
I think there are those of us who would like to give ProMash a real go... I wasn't aware of it until I started brewing seriously and there was no support at the time.

...but the lack of information or access even to the executable means I am still using BeerSmith. I am not terribly happy with it nor the fairly bad advice that is given with their email blasts. Met Brad at NHC and he seems like a great guy - but the direction BeerSmith has taken has just overcomplicated what should have been more robust and less unwieldy. BeerSmith works - but I have looking at BrewToad and others that seem somewhat better for the price.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 07:56:36 pm »
Still using ProMash. Works fine.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 10:30:22 am »

Same here.  I tried learning Beersmith, but the results varied greatly from what I got in Promash.  Finally decided it was more hassle than it was worth.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 11:52:32 am »
I would like to see an updated BJCP Style guidelines (*.bism).I want to brew a Festbier BJCP 4b, but it is still using outdated guidelines. Anyone have a fix for this?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 04:41:19 am »
I am still a Promash fan. I can make up a recipe in no time. I add my own ingredients as they change over time. I tried the trial version of Beersmith once and didn't like it, sorry Brad. Using Windows 7 at the moment, but if I do upgrade to Win 10, I hope Promash will still work okay.

Offline miss_rach

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 11:45:27 am »
So where can I go to download the software?  The webpage says it will be back in June 2015!!!

Offline MarvinSwordenski

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 07:05:47 am »

Same here.  I tried learning Beersmith, but the results varied greatly from what I got in Promash.  Finally decided it was more hassle than it was worth.

+1

Old dog new tricks?
I have hundreds of sessions and recipes on my 1998 version (updated along the way). When I went to 64bit system I had to 'force' the system and software to use as a 64bit program.
I'm pre-heating my mash tun right now and starting a brew this morning using ProMash. I have slight fears of loosing years of history, recipes, sessions, result notes for references, and the ability to formulate new recipes without ProMash. 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 10:55:07 am by MarvinSwordenski »

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 06:16:45 pm »
There is not too much that need to be upgraded in Pro Mash. May be water calculation. All it needs is to be recompiled with current compiler. 
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline seyahmit

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 08:05:51 am »
Long time ProMash user here as well. I bought Beer Smith, but couldn't get comfortable enough to make the switch permanently.

I made the windows 10 upgrade and ProMash works great for me.