Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Side-by-side refrigerator  (Read 3434 times)

Offline ferb

• 1st Kit
Side-by-side refrigerator
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:41:20 pm »
I've got a side-by-side fridge (freezer/fridge) that I've converted to be a serving/lagering fridge.
It can fit 4 cornies on the fridge side and I've got 4 corresponding taps mounted on the door.

The question is, what can I do to take advantage of the freezer side?
It seems like if the fridge side is around 45F, then the freezer side is about 22F. There are analog dials for making each side colder/warmer but I'm using a digital controller so those essentially get overridden.

Ideally, I'd like to use the freezer side for lagering. So that means being able to keep the freezer side in the 32-50F range. If I take it that high right now, the fridge side will get too warm.

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
Re: Side-by-side refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:20:31 pm »
I cut the interior wall out of mine and now have a huge, wide open space. Of course, I can only keep it at one temp, instead of two but it works great for fermenting. Might not be the solution you're looking for but I love it as a fermentation chamber.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:52:53 am »
Have you tried it to see where the fridge side evens out?  You could cut a smaller hole install a muffin fan, and use a different temp controller to run the fan and chill the fridge side.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline ferb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 10:44:47 am »
I cut the interior wall out of mine and now have a huge, wide open space. Of course, I can only keep it at one temp, instead of two but it works great for fermenting. Might not be the solution you're looking for but I love it as a fermentation chamber.

So no worries about electronics or chiller lines in the wall between the spaces?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 10:56:11 am »

So no worries about electronics or chiller lines in the wall between the spaces?

you should be able to find documentation on where electronics/coolant lines are located in your model.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 06:12:09 pm »
I'd like to resurrect the idea from this old post.  I have a fridge I use as a ferm chamber but if I dial down the temp for lagering I loose the capability for the next brew to ferment.  I have an additional side-by-side that I use the fridge side to serve from.  I'd like to rack from fermenter to keg and use the freezer side of the side-by-side to lager in.  I've read a lot of ideas from a lot of different sites.  My side-by-side is the "trap door" style.  Has anyone successfully modified this style side-by-side to lager from the freezer and serve from the fridge and if so how was it done?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 06:38:29 pm by BrewBama »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 07:14:32 am »
Quick follow up to anyone considering use of a side-by-side.  I have been very successful using the freezer side to lager in and serve from the fridge side without modification.  I simply control the whole unit with an external controller and monitor the temp in the lager side by taping a probe pocket of shop towels against the lager keg.  While the lager side is near freezing, the serving side maintains temps in the 40*F(s).