Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sour Gushers  (Read 1937 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Sour Gushers
« on: June 15, 2015, 03:56:56 pm »
The last 2 sours I've picked up have both been gushers. While I didn't lose the whole beer, it was enough to be annoying.

They were Cascade and Prarie Artisian sours FWIW. Is there any point in contacting the brewery as an FYI for them, or is this somewhat common for the style?

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: Sour Gushers
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 04:05:22 pm »
The last 2 sours I've picked up have both been gushers. While I didn't lose the whole beer, it was enough to be annoying.

They were Cascade and Prarie Artisian sours FWIW. Is there any point in contacting the brewery as an FYI for them, or is this somewhat common for the style?

Being a Belgian sourhead myself I can assure you this is NOT common for the style, but simply poor fermentation handling. You can have a gusher in a non-brett beer, and then you have an infection. I can understand that, these things happen. But when you have a sour beer gusher something is fundamentally wrong.

Sorry, I have mixed feelings about Prairie. Last year I went to SF in the summer. My first beer was a Prairie brett beer, and it was my first beer in the States that went down the drain. No gusher, simply not tasty.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 04:25:31 pm »
Awfully coincidental that both of two different brands would gush. Were they opened too warm?

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 04:34:34 pm »
Awfully coincidental that both of two different brands would gush. Were they opened too warm?

Is that a thing? Both weren't chilled very long, maybe 4-5 hours in the refrigerator.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 04:54:33 pm »
CO2 comes out of solution much easier as temp warms. A lot of American sours are effervescent, so they can foam over if too warm. Try again but chill over night

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 07:05:03 am »
Yep.  Give them a good 24hrs in the fridge before opening.  The beer needs time to absorb the CO2 again.

Online reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 09:33:21 am »
Prairie has received a lot of flack for their poor bottling practices. Their beers are known gushers around here. Many people (including myself) won't buy Prairie anymore over the gushing and the fact that the owner declines to respond to anybody about it.

I'm surprised you had that problem with the Cascade. I haven't heard that happening much. I would reach out to them and let them know. They might be more responsive.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 10:26:48 am »
Prairie has received a lot of flack for their poor bottling practices. Their beers are known gushers around here. Many people (including myself) won't buy Prairie anymore over the gushing and the fact that the owner declines to respond to anybody about it.

I'm surprised you had that problem with the Cascade. I haven't heard that happening much. I would reach out to them and let them know. They might be more responsive.

There's a reason Prairie never tries to brew the same beer twice...

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 03:40:51 pm »
Got a response from Cascade today and nothing yet from Prairie...

"Our beers are highly carbonated and if served above our suggested serving temp of 40 degrees, which is listed on the bottle, there is a chance that it could become a gusher. Let me know if you have any other questions."

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 06:36:14 am »
"Our beers are highly carbonated and if served above our suggested serving temp of 40 degrees, which is listed on the bottle, there is a chance that it could become a gusher. Let me know if you have any other questions."

*gasp*
Frank P.

Online reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 07:16:08 am »
I did not expect that kind of a response from Cascade. Serve at 40? Too damn cold.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 08:05:03 am »
In all fairness, you just need to open the bottle cold but you don't have to drink it that cold.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 08:58:03 am »
A lot of American sours are effervescent, so they can foam over if too warm.

Are you saying that's a feature?
Frank P.