Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Summer orange blonde advice  (Read 1402 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Summer orange blonde advice
« on: July 19, 2015, 01:05:03 pm »
 I 've brewed a centennial blonde recipe a couple times for summer and it has been very well received.   ( on the recipe below I exchanged cascade for lemon drop hops which I've never tried before.). I wanted to give it a try with some orange zest and coriander and see how it turns out however I don't want it to be too sweet.  Anyone have any advice at changing or decreasing the Crystal or Vienna if I add 1.5 ounces of fresh orange zest in five minutes and .5 ounce coriander in five minutes?
Thanks

Batch Size: 5.85 gal
Boil Size: 8.00 gal   
Color: 3.5 SRM   
Bitterness: 24.0 IBUs
Est OG: 1.040
Est FG: 1.008 SG
ABV: 4.2%   

Ingredients
Amount   Name   Type   #
7 lbs.        Pale Malt (2 Row) US
10.0 oz   Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8.0 oz   Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L
8.0 oz   Vienna Malt
0.3 oz   Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 60 min   
0.3 oz   Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 35 min
0.2 oz   Lemon drop [4.5%] - Boil 20 min   
1          Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min
0.2 oz   Lemon drop [4.5%] - Boil 5 min
2 pkgs   California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Summer orange blonde advice
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 01:08:59 pm »
I don't think you will get much in the way of sweetness from the orange zest and coriander.  More of an orangey oil note/flavor and some earthy spice from the coriander (based on what type you use).  I think your recipe looks solid, and if you have brewed it before and it was not too sweet for you then I would leave it where it is.  If anything you might want to consider backing off on the coriander a tad, but that is personal preference. 

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 01:59:43 pm »
 Cool, thanks.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 11:00:35 am »
my personal opinion... if you truly want to test the lemon drop hops, omit the orange and coriander.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 11:30:35 am »
my personal opinion... if you truly want to test the lemon drop hops, omit the orange and coriander.

The lemon drops amounts are so small that I am not sure how much impact that they will have anyway.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline BrewHalla

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 06:10:12 pm »
whats your mash temp? if you are not there already you could always shoot for the low side at 148/149 to try and dry it out that way

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 07:32:48 pm »
 Are usually do that one at 150,  and even though there's some malt it is pretty dry.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 01:23:35 pm »
me personally, I would move that 20m addition to maybe 10 or 5 and dump a bunch more in. Then either leave the 5 or move it to EOB and dump a whole bunch more in. I don't know what the AA% is for lemon drop but you will have to up the amounts to really get a feel for taste/aroma.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 01:48:34 pm »
I live in Belgium. Go to any larger beershop and you find a trazillion mediocre tripels with too much coriander and orange zest. Do not go that way, I beg you.  :P
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 02:45:37 pm »
 I just put it to bed in the fermenter. Put it with 1.5 ounces of fresh orange zest and .25 ounces of coriander and the recipe as is otherwise. How report back how it turns out. Smell nice and orangey but not overwhelming at all.   Fingers crossed