Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Naturally carbonating in keg with candi syrup  (Read 1435 times)

Offline tfrommer

• 1st Kit
Naturally carbonating in keg with candi syrup
« on: June 17, 2015, 10:33:22 pm »
Hive mind -- I have multiple questions about priming in a keg using candi syrup

Right now my beer is in secondary and cold crashed in a refrigerator (saison). The last batch of this recipe, I bottled some and kegged the rest and really prefer the bottle-conditioned beer to what's coming out of the keg. On a suggestion from a fellow homebrewer I'd like to try priming in my keg before hooking up my CO2 regulator.

• How do I get the candi syrup to dissolve without introducing oxygen into the beer? Stirring with a sanitized spoon seems like a poor choice. At minimum, I think I need to bring the beer back up to room temp otherwise I fear I'll have a glop of candi syrup at the bottom of the keg. But how do I distribute the syrup, just roll and shake the keg a bit?
  • In the event adding the syrup stirs up whatever viable yeast is left, I assume I'll need to off gas but at what point do I worry about losing the desired carbonation? Or between low FG (1.006) and cold crashing this may be a fool's errand?
  • How do I determine it's at optimum carbonation? Via my regulator? And once I hook up my CO2 should I just set the regulator to my desired psi or a lower level to just push the beer through my tap?
  • Any other tips or things I'm forgetting?

Thanks in advance for advice/suggestions.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:35:13 pm by tfrommer »
Tim F.
Seattle
Cascade Brewers Guild

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Naturally carbonating in keg with candi syrup
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 09:36:14 am »
What type of candi syrup?  Is it even a good idea?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tfrommer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 04:45:34 pm »
What type of candi syrup?  Is it even a good idea?

It's a blood orange saison made with (surprise) blood orange candi syrup. The reco was to prime with some more of the syrup to bring that flavor profile back up.
Tim F.
Seattle
Cascade Brewers Guild

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 04:09:28 am »
I'd recommend against it. The main reason being it is a "gimmick" and aside from the fact that you can say "primed with candi syrup" to yourself and your friends that small amount of candi as priming will be barely noticeable if at all. So why risk it? In fact, you could just tell yourself and your friends "primed with candi syrup" and as long as you and your friends believe it it will taste like it's true even if its not! ;) That's way better than having undercarbonated beer, IMO.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 12:00:35 pm »
I'd recommend against it. The main reason being it is a "gimmick" and aside from the fact that you can say "primed with candi syrup" to yourself and your friends that small amount of candi as priming will be barely noticeable if at all. So why risk it? In fact, you could just tell yourself and your friends "primed with candi syrup" and as long as you and your friends believe it it will taste like it's true even if its not! ;) That's way better than having undercarbonated beer, IMO.

All of this^^^^^
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell