Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homebrewing and Children  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Homebrewing and Children
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 03:37:14 pm »
I feel like I should also throw out the obvious warning about flames, boiling liquids, etc.  Dangerous for us, but even more so for little people.

I stopped using glass carboys when I cracked one with a wee one nearby.

Keep it safe, always, but you need to be even more diligent around kids.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 03:40:31 pm »
My kids (21, 19, 17 and 14) have been in the brewery all their lives.  So far they are all doing fine.  Some have answered questions in class about hobbies with "my Dad brews beer!".  The teachers laughed and the other kids didn't care.  I will point out that my kids have all gone to a Catholic school so the acceptance of alcohol may be higher than in some other situations.   ;)

So far my son is studying civil engineering and doesn't really like beer.  The 19 and 17 year olds are studying chemistry which I think may have been influenced by the real world practice of chemistry in brewing.  The 14 year old could care less that I brew.

As others have said, it isn't that you brew, it's how you raise them to have an open mind and be curious about stuff.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 03:48:45 pm »
As far as the school aspect, I've shared bottles with my kids' teachers.  Can I say that?

They were appreciative.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 03:51:14 pm »
As far as the school aspect, I've shared bottles with my kids' teachers.  Can I say that?

They were appreciative.
I'm a teacher and I would appreciate it.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 03:51:28 pm »
I have been thinking about this as well lately. My 18 month old son just now understands 'beer' as me going to check on my fermenter or going to pour a beer from the keg. Yesterday, I asked if we wanted to come check on the beer. He said yes and went straight for the stairs and we got down to check the temp of the fermenting wort. He was extremely interested and wanted me to open the chamber door so he could check it out. Only then, did I stop to think of any negative consequence of exposing him to this so young.

After reading the prior responses, it makes me feel a lot better. I am just getting to the point where I actually need to be a parent instead of just take care of a baby. Half the time, I don't know what the hell I am doing so it will be quite the learning process for me...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 04:09:11 pm »
I feel like I should also throw out the obvious warning about flames, boiling liquids, etc.  Dangerous for us, but even more so for little people.

I stopped using glass carboys when I cracked one with a wee one nearby.

Keep it safe, always, but you need to be even more diligent around kids.

+1.  I've gotten cut by broken carboys and made the switch to plastic. Being a dad, it brought things into focus. And contrary to the old conventional wisdom, my beer quality hasn't suffered one bit going back to buckets.
Jon H.

Offline ketch32

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 04:28:24 pm »
They are still young, but they love it and are great helpers.  They are in private school (pre-school) and the teacher asks for my beer routinely.  Stay close to your kids, build a strong relationship and try to talk about everything.  Being honest and involving them in most of your activities will pay off more than you know.  It is quite the journey, but worth the effort.  Good luck and Cheers!
"If one intends to make beer from oats, it is prepared with hops",
Abbess Hildegard of Bingen

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 06:18:51 pm »
There are so many factors that go into substance abuse and homebrwing probably isn't one of them. Spend time with your kids and treat their Mom well. Drink moderately. Pay attention to who they hang out with. Let them try alcohol when YOU think they can handle it. My son, who is 24, sometimes has too many and gets hangovers but doesn't drink and drive and is a very responsible and healthy person. How do I know this? He trusts me because I told him all my war stories and he knows he can talk to me about it. Don't hide it! as an aside ,on his 21st birthday he and I met Tomme Arthur who was at a local place that tapped a few kegs of his sours. Tomme said he drank Bud Light on his 21st birthday.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 06:25:13 pm »
as an aside ,on his 21st birthday he and I met Tomme Arthur who was at a local place that tapped a few kegs of his sours. Tomme said he drank Bud Light on his 21st birthday.

That's a pretty cool story, Pete. Tomme is a great brewer. And I agree with the rest BTW.
Jon H.

Offline IPAnic

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 07:30:41 pm »
I have been thinking about this as well lately. My 18 month old son just now understands 'beer' as me going to check on my fermenter or going to pour a beer from the keg. Yesterday, I asked if we wanted to come check on the beer. He said yes and went straight for the stairs and we got down to check the temp of the fermenting wort. He was extremely interested and wanted me to open the chamber door so he could check it out. Only then, did I stop to think of any negative consequence of exposing him to this so young.

After reading the prior responses, it makes me feel a lot better. I am just getting to the point where I actually need to be a parent instead of just take care of a baby. Half the time, I don't know what the hell I am doing so it will be quite the learning process for me...
Half the time? Bragger! I have a 24 and a 20 year old and still have no idea how they turned out to be incredible people. I know it had nothing to do with me "knowing what the hell I was doing" or that I've been brewing beer their entire lives. Create an environment where honor and honesty are important. When they can call and need your nonjudgemental help "before" the trouble begins (thinking of high school years), you've "done good".

Offline Hatefly

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2015, 11:07:30 am »
I have two teenage boys, a 2 year old girl and a 8 month old girl.

I LOVE how much brewing has to teach and the many varied skills you need to learn with this hobby. All of that info and skill can be passed on and the more knowledge your kids can learn from you will not only instill a healthy respect, but also understanding.

I found that the less mysterious alcohol of any type is, the less it is abused.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 08:12:46 pm »
They are still young, but they love it and are great helpers.  They are in private school (pre-school) and the teacher asks for my beer routinely.  Stay close to your kids, build a strong relationship and try to talk about everything.  Being honest and involving them in most of your activities will pay off more than you know.  It is quite the journey, but worth the effort.  Good luck and Cheers!

That is so cute!

My two boys helped me brew when they were little. They are now 29 and 27 years old. When my oldest was in middle school, I helped him make root beer for his science fair. It was the hit of the fair. My youngest has brewed with me, and we shared the beer, and my oldest comes home often to visit, and has a few homebrews while he is here. They both have healthy and sensible attitudes toward drinking and alcohol. My father made wine and beer back when it wasn't the cool thing to do, and I'm convinced my sons will probably brew when it fits into their lives. Brewing, winemaking, distilling has been passed down through the ages, and it has been passed down through the generations of my family. It has been a positive thing that has brought us close together. I suppose that it has its pros and cons, but it has been a good thing for my family.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2015, 03:38:52 am »
When asked to identify a cylinder in preschool, my now-11-year-old said, "It's a can of beer!" (meaning a Corny keg). Her teachers though it was hilarious and then demanded I bring them some homebrew.

My younger daughter likes to "brew" along side me, using unopened bags of specialty grains, a spare pot, and a spoon.

I figure hiding brewing and drinking from my kids isn't playing the long game. Everything is an opportunity for education, even if it's by counterexample.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 09:46:18 pm »
My son just turned 5. He doesn't have much interest in helping me brew, but that's probably because he has no interest in the finished product. To him, beer and soda are the same thing. They're both things that adults drink that he has no interest in. He does love rubbing hop cones between his hands and smelling them, though.

My son made me real proud one day when we were eating lunch at a local brewpub during a brewday. You couldn't see them brewing from the dining room, but you could smell it. Right as they first bittering addition went in my son said "I smell hops!"  ;D

My thing with parenting is that I'm honest and straightforward as much as humanly possible. I try to explain things at his level, but without dumbing things down or sugarcoating them too much. Lead by example and give your kids the tools they need to make informed decisions and you will be astounded by how proud they make you.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2015, 03:00:41 pm »