Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homebrewing and Children  (Read 4236 times)

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Homebrewing and Children
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2015, 07:25:43 pm »
Congrats on your upcoming little one! I have an 11, 9, 7, and 4 year old and the advice already given is rock solid, just be honest with your kids.  I just finished dinner talking about a blueberry fruit beer.  My kids mostly see beer as something that stinks and can't taste good.  Moderation because too much of anything can be bad for you is my basic message.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

-Tony

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2015, 08:50:44 pm »
Congrats on your upcoming little one! I have an 11, 9, 7, and 4 year old

Here's hoping you slow down soon, bro! :)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2015, 10:29:07 pm »
Congrats! Here are my thoughts:

http://brulosophy.com/2014/07/17/on-brewing-with-a-family-or-where-do-you-find-the-time/
Marshall, this was a great post. My father grew up in the family winery (really just a tavern, did not produce wine, but that's what they called it.) While I was growing up, my grandparents in his side always had a tiny wine glass for me and my sister for Sunday dinner every week as far back as I can remember. That's how my father was brought up and that's how he brought up my 4 siblings and myself. I had my wild college days, but those are long gone.  As Keith noted, I probably qualify as a problem drinker medically speaking, but I usually only drink once or twice a week. I hate hangovers more than just about anything in life after those crazy college days, so I keep it responsible at all times. I did not know my father in his college days, but I can say that he is the most responsible adult drinker I have ever been around in my life. That helped shape me and I try to put that into work in my life now that I am helping raise my girlfriend's 3 children. They all got bored with helping on brew day or bottling day after about the first 3 batches I made. The important thing I see is that they see me work hard (with brewing magic) to create something I love, and I don't think they have ever seen my drinking as a potential problem in the 4 plus years that I have been around them. As a footnote, I think that it was either Alewyfe (?) Or Amanda K that said on here that SWMBO really stands for She Who. Must Brew Often. My significant other almost never helps me with brewing, but was a huge inspiration to get started in the hobby.  I don't think she has ever given me any grief over brewing as long as I keep life in perspective (and our calendar!) Thanks again, great post
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2015, 07:21:39 am »
Congrats on your upcoming little one! I have an 11, 9, 7, and 4 year old

Here's hoping you slow down soon, bro! :)
It's definitely crazy in and around my house, but the kids are great.  I do tend to pretend growing hops needs more attention at times to escape for a few minutes.

-Tony
-Tony

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2015, 12:54:55 pm »
Congratulations, man.

Here are my thoughts:

http://brulosophy.com/2014/07/17/on-brewing-with-a-family-or-where-do-you-find-the-time/

I pretty much do the opposite, in that I brew in the evenings after the baby has gone to bed.  It does make for some late nights though.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2015, 07:17:29 am »
15 year old #1 son is going to build me a  home-made off-flavor kit according to bjcp guidelines. Better train him to recognize bad beer once he gets into the inevitable binge drinking period  ::)
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.