Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anti foam and dry yeast  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Anti foam and dry yeast
« on: June 19, 2015, 08:20:22 am »
After aerating theres alot of foam on top in the carboy. If i use a couple drops of fermcap, and then pitch dry yeast on top will it effect the yeast?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Re: Anti foam and dry yeast
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 08:36:52 am »
No, it shouldn't.  When adding to fermenter, the recommendation for Fermcap-S is 2 drops per gallon, from my recollection.  Personally, I always add it to the boil to prevent boil-overs (3 drops per gallon) which also takes care of fermentation.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 09:06:32 am »
+1, That's how I use it too Toby,  when I use it. My larger BK has allowed me to limit my use since last fall
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 09:32:30 am »
I already added (just 3 drops of 5 Star Defoamer 10) to my boil, which worked fine, but now when i aerated in the carboy its foaming back up. I would think that if it stays on top of the wort in the BK it would NOT transfer to the fermenter since i never draw that far down.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 09:53:12 am »
It doesn't stay on top of the wort.  It 'mixes' into it.  Foam is basically bubbles forming groups and merging and expanding.  Anti-foaming agents just help to keep them from binding together.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 03:17:25 pm »
I would recommend taking the little extra time to properly re-hydrate your dry yeast and then pour the slurry in, the foam won't be an issue then:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 05:02:33 am »
I have the 5-star.

You have to add it to the fermenter when the krausen is up not before. As with the boil it only works and prevents once the foam has started rise.

I'm assuming Fermcap works the same way.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 10:49:38 am »
I would recommend taking the little extra time to properly re-hydrate your dry yeast and then pour the slurry in, the foam won't be an issue then:)

Testing has shown no advantage to rehydrating in terms of performance.  Yes, you may end up with more viable cells, but it doesn't appear to matter to the quality of the beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 12:31:05 pm »

Testing has shown no advantage to rehydrating in terms of performance.  Yes, you may end up with more viable cells, but it doesn't appear to matter to the quality of the beer.
I've read the same but IME I've achieved better results rehydrating and it eliminates the problem the OP questioned at the same time:)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 10:32:52 am »

I've read the same but IME I've achieved better results rehydrating and it eliminates the problem the OP questioned at the same time:)

Then obviously you should keep doing what you're doing!  I've found absolutely no difference in the quality of the finished beer.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 10:40:57 am »
Question for the folks who don't rehydrate: Are you still using one package or do you use two? (Let's say for something around SG of 1.055 or so.)

I've fermented US-05 without rehydrating with good results, but I've always bumped up to two packages. Haven't tried it with only 1.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 01:04:12 pm »
Question for the folks who don't rehydrate: Are you still using one package or do you use two? (Let's say for something around SG of 1.055 or so.)

I've fermented US-05 without rehydrating with good results, but I've always bumped up to two packages. Haven't tried it with only 1.

One pack unrehydrated up to about 1.070

www.dennybrew.com

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 04:09:06 pm »

Nice, that will save a few bucks.

Do you aerate the wort when pitching US-05?

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 08:25:10 am »

Yes, yeast require O2 through the growth phase

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 09:34:12 am »

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Doesn't seem to matter.

www.dennybrew.com