Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pulling Keg off of CO2  (Read 4697 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Pulling Keg off of CO2
« on: June 19, 2015, 01:18:59 pm »
Will pulling a carbed  keg off CO2 for a few days to a week screw things up? Keeping it cold during this time and hooking it back up after said time.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Re: Pulling Keg off of CO2
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 01:22:51 pm »
I do that all the time. I've never had a problem.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 01:24:36 pm »
Generally speaking, no, especially not if kept cold.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 01:38:57 pm »
I dont' keep my kegs continually hooked to CO2.

I'll pour a few pints and then repressurize the keg.  Worst thing that happens is you might lose some carbonation, but you get that back when you repressurize (not instantly, obviously).
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 07:49:03 pm »
Generally speaking, no, especially not if kept cold.
I do that all the time. I've never had a problem.

I do it all the time, too, and I don't necessarily keep it cold. I have five taps, so sometimes I'll take something off to feature something new or different, and just put it away in the cellar at 60F or thereabouts, and I'll put it back on at another time, and it is fine, not the worse for wear in any way. Beer keeps well in kegs as long as it is kept away from oxygen and/or extreme temperatures.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 08:04:59 pm »
The only thing I'd watch out for is leaks in the keg—you'll be disappointed if the headspace becomes totally depressurized and the beer starts going flat/oxidized. Just do the soapy water trick to detect any leaky seals.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 08:26:32 pm »
The only thing I'd watch out for is leaks in the keg—you'll be disappointed if the headspace becomes totally depressurized and the beer starts going flat/oxidized. Just do the soapy water trick to detect any leaky seals.

Yep
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 11:04:32 pm »
As others have said, this is fine.  Similar to reducing pressure if needed for serving.  No worries.  Use a lil CIP lube on your gaskets and o-rings for trouble free sealing. 
Just ensure you actually remove the black "beer out" connection altogether.  Don't just unscrew the hose from it unless you want one of those things to look back on and laugh about... 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 07:13:35 am »

Just ensure you actually remove the black "beer out" connection altogether.  Don't just unscrew the hose from it unless you want one of those things to look back on and laugh about... 

Are you talking about removing the post? I removed the gas disconnect but kept the beer out line hooked up to the keg and tap on my kegerator.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 08:16:34 am »

Are you talking about removing the post? I removed the gas disconnect but kept the beer out line hooked up to the keg and tap on my kegerator.
Trust me, you'll know if you've done it wrong.  You're fine the way it is.  If you unscrew the hose only you'll have a nice beer fountain until you remove the ball lock disconnect. 

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 08:18:17 am »
OH, who would take the hose off the disconnects? In my case, that would mean ripping off the Oetikir clamps.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 09:47:26 am »
OH, who would take the hose off the disconnects? In my case, that would mean ripping off the Oetikir clamps.

I'm guessing he speaks from experience...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 10:36:31 am »
Mine screw on.  I like it because I can remove the disconnect for cleaning and I use co2 through the beer in line to flush the keg prior to filling. After flushing with co2 and filling with beer I switch the hose over to the co2 post to carb.  One must just remember to remove the black disconnect between flushing and carbing. 

« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 11:46:36 am by JT »

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 08:37:46 pm »
As a follow up to this, can anyone estimate how long you can actually serve off a carbed keg before it stops pouring? I assume the carbonation of the beer stays, but eventually you lose serving pressure and the beer simply can't make the way up the tubing.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 09:31:03 pm »
As a follow up to this, can anyone estimate how long you can actually serve off a carbed keg before it stops pouring? I assume the carbonation of the beer stays, but eventually you lose serving pressure and the beer simply can't make the way up the tubing.

The way I understand it is that every time you remove CO2 from the keg, some CO2 in the beer will come out of solution until the pressure in the keg is once again equalized. Not sure how much has to be removed and how fast it actually happens, but eventually your beer will have less carbonation.