Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hemp - IPA  (Read 1038 times)

Offline irob1992

• 1st Kit
Hemp - IPA
« on: June 15, 2015, 05:24:03 pm »
What would you all think of a hemp IPA? I've heard that hemp seeds can add a "nutty" taste to the beer that I thought might go well with an "earthy" tasting IPA. The only Hemp beer I've had is Joint Effort from Red Hook and Hilliards, I really liked it, but can't find it anywhere anymore. It's also only like 35 IBU's so I'm not sure how the bitterness would go.

Also, any ideas on how much to add?
Dreaming of my own solar powered brewery

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Hemp - IPA
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 06:57:32 am »
Those hemp beers I've tried did not have a noticable flavor that I could attribute to the hemp seeds. If you are looking for a nutty flavor, victory, a bit of light munich or some toasted pale malt will help.

you can certainly add some hemp seed to the mash just to say you did but I don't think it's going to bring much to the game.

Now, if you live in washington, Colorado, Alaska, or California (and have any kind of medical condition whatsoever) you could add something that would add flavor. ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 07:00:12 am »
Now, if you live in washington, Colorado, Alaska, or California (and have any kind of medical condition whatsoever) you could add something that would add flavor. ;D

Let's just say it adds a bit more than flavor  ;).  Ask me how I know....

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 10:06:53 am »
I had a pale ale with hemp seeds from some brewery in Missouri. It isn't nutty like, well nuts. It's more of a straw-like flavor with some herbal and nutty flavors.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing