Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Moved to secondary  (Read 1464 times)

Offline jdstil77

• 1st Kit
Moved to secondary
« on: September 27, 2015, 11:22:08 pm »
I have moved my 5 gallon batch of ipa to the secondary only after 7 days in primary it has hit it's final.gravity of 1.014 and I was wondering how long should I leave it in the secondary while I dry hop it and will.cold crashing it while I do this hurt it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 11:23:51 pm by jdstil77 »

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Moved to secondary
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 04:53:00 am »
Cold crashing while dry hopping will not hurt the beer.
Dry hopping at room temp versus serving temp is a discussion with proponents on each side.
My current process is to dry hop in the keg at serving temp while carbing.
I like the results for two reasons, one, I can't tell the difference in taste from when I used to dry hop in secondary and two, it's one less step in the process.
The length of time you dry hop is another personal preference thing. Leave the dry hops in for a few days and taste the beer, wait a few more days and taste again, rack the beer when it tastes right to you.
I leave the dry hops in the keg for the duration with no apparent, to me, negative effect.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 05:47:41 am »
My current process is to dry hop in the keg at serving temp while carbing.
I like the results for two reasons, one, I can't tell the difference in taste from when I used to dry hop in secondary and two, it's one less step in the process.
The length of time you dry hop is another personal preference thing. Leave the dry hops in for a few days and taste the beer, wait a few more days and taste again, rack the beer when it tastes right to you.
I leave the dry hops in the keg for the duration with no apparent, to me, negative effect.

Same thing I do.
Jon H.

Offline jdstil77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 02:10:03 pm »
I'm actually bottling but I want to cold crash and dry hop at same time since I've already hit my final gravity after 7 days of fermentation in the primary  I'm wanting to dry hop and cold crash for 3 to 4 days in the secondary then  rack to bottles and condition a week or 2 does that sound to soon to drink it ?? And how and when is gelatin used
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 04:29:46 pm by jdstil77 »

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 04:44:58 am »
Sorry I wasn't clear, my process of dry hopping in the keg is dry hopping while cold crashing versus dry hopping at room temp. So, dry hopping in a secondary while cold crashing will be fine.
Gelatin works best when the beer is cold. I don't bottle any more and never used gelatin when I was, so I can't help much with that question. There are several threads on the forum regarding how to use gelatin.
Regarding the question about 2 weeks being enough time in the bottle, if you keep the bottles warm (~70), it'll take 2 weeks - maybe 3 -  for carbonation.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline jdstil77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 05:15:13 am »
Sorry I wasn't clear, my process of dry hopping in the keg is dry hopping while cold crashing versus dry hopping at room temp. So, dry hopping in a secondary while cold crashing will be fine.
Gelatin works best when the beer is cold. I don't bottle any more and never used gelatin when I was, so I can't help much with that question. There are several threads on the forum regarding how to use gelatin.
Regarding the question about 2 weeks being enough time in the bottle, if you keep the bottles warm (~70), it'll take 2 weeks - maybe 3 -  for carbonation.
Thanks

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 09:40:24 am »
I have moved my 5 gallon batch of ipa to the secondary only after 7 days in primary it has hit it's final.gravity of 1.014 and I was wondering how long should I leave it in the secondary while I dry hop it and will.cold crashing it while I do this hurt it

First, I'm still a newb.  Second, I'm not trying to lecture.  Just because you've hit your target FG does not mean the yeast are done working.  After they eat all the sugar they eat up other things, some of which cause off flavors.  Your beer is probably fine, but know you know  :)

I was having problems with diacetyl last year and I started leaving my beer on the yeast for 2 weeks instead of one.  Problem solved!