Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Yeast Company  (Read 8495 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: New Yeast Company
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2015, 05:56:27 am »
If I could go back to organic vs "normal".

Question is:

if I take normal yeast and keep making  organic wort and I am on let say 5-th generation. Is my yeast organic at that time? As we know all original cells are dead by then.

The same goes if I get organic yeast and feed it with normal wort and I am on 5-th generation. Is this yeast still organic or not?

Thank you.
Good questions. I have similar thoughts about non-organic seeds that turn into plants raised organically. I don't really think the yeast cells matter so much its probably the wort they grow them in and hence the barley. Don't forget that organic farming is not just about the food we ingest but also the effect on our ecosystem. The more people buy organic the less pesticides, herbicides, and chemical fertilizers are used and less toxic materials are getting into our water supply and food and soil. Also less unintended consequences like beehive collapse disorder. Also the more people who buy organic the more farmers see it as profitable and produce a critical mass to get advantages of scale and lower prices.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline YooperBrew

• Cellarman
  • Beer Geek
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2015, 08:26:03 pm »
I'm excited about trying their yeast when it's available.

Talking with Jason (whom I've known for a while from him working at Wyeast and attending other NHCs), it sounds like it should retail for $2 more than typical smack packs, but have twice as much viable yeast.

I like the idea of organic yeast, but don't really care that much about that.  I do like the packaging, the higher cell count, and the promise of "producing a product in an environmentally responsible way". 

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2015, 11:21:49 am »
I'm excited about trying their yeast when it's available.

Talking with Jason (whom I've known for a while from him working at Wyeast and attending other NHCs), it sounds like it should retail for $2 more than typical smack packs, but have twice as much viable yeast.

I like the idea of organic yeast, but don't really care that much about that.  I do like the packaging, the higher cell count, and the promise of "producing a product in an environmentally responsible way".

Yup this is how I feel.  I like the packaging the most.  New way to look at direct pitch.
Jeff B

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2015, 08:04:07 am »
I gotta say,..I get great results with the smack packs and a starter...No reason to change now...kinda like batch sparging in the somewhat rough looking blue cooler...if it isnt broke there is no need to fix anything....easy....

So I guess that's it then, no reason to ever evolve your ideas or processes.
Jesse

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2015, 12:38:24 am »
Picked up a can of L05 Cable Car today.  It's going in a Cali Common tomorrow. Not making a starter; looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

narvin

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2015, 05:48:00 am »
I don't just make starters to grow cell count, but to ensure health after it's been sitting on the shelf for a couple of months.   I've direct pitched multiple vials of white labs and still get better results with a starter.

How is this different than 2 vials of white labs in one container for about twice the price?  If anything it's less flexible since I can't buy 300 billion cells if the need arises.

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2015, 12:48:01 pm »
At my lhbs, White Labs is $7 per vial, and the Imperial is $10 for roughly twice the cell count.  It is worth it to me when I don't have time for a starter.  The can is less than 3 weeks old, and purchased in Portland, so I am confident it is still in good condition.

narvin

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2015, 12:55:50 pm »
If that's the difference, it's probably worth it from a price point.  I'm not going to use yeast that's been shipped across the country (or even a few states, ECY) without a starter and I'd be suspicious of anything stored more than 2 weeks regardless.

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2015, 01:03:35 pm »
If that's the difference, it's probably worth it from a price point.  I'm not going to use yeast that's been shipped across the country (or even a few states, ECY) without a starter and I'd be suspicious of anything stored more than 2 weeks regardless.

For the most part I agree with that.  A starter is always a good idea.  This is kind of an experiment.  They also had 4 day old cans of "Barbarian" (Conan) in stock.  Made me wish I had an IPA planned instead of a Cali Common.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2015, 04:24:03 pm »
They're right across the river from me. If they sell out of there and aren't too much more than WLP or Wyeast they might be worth considering.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2015, 12:37:28 am »
Just pitched at 61 degrees.  Pro-tip: Don't shake the can before you open it.  Face full of yeasty wort.  Seriously, I don't know what I was thinking.

Fortunately most of the product stayed in the can, and I poured an impressively large clump of slurry into my fermenter.  I will report back when I start seeing some visible signs of fermentation.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2015, 07:10:03 am »
seems to me if high quality fresh yeast, no starter required or needed. FWIW, I've been doing similar tests with white labs pure pitch. using just one pouch 1-4 weeks old, I've had fantastic results with 4 batches and two different strains- WLP001 and WLP002. OG from 1.050-1.062.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

narvin

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2015, 08:46:02 am »
seems to me if high quality fresh yeast, no starter required or needed. FWIW, I've been doing similar tests with white labs pure pitch. using just one pouch 1-4 weeks old, I've had fantastic results with 4 batches and two different strains- WLP001 and WLP002. OG from 1.050-1.062.

Sure, if you can get packs that are fresh.  Maybe pure-pitch will change that, but the realities of ordering and stocking for most stores will probably result in the same situation once they roll out more varieties.

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2015, 11:51:18 am »
Just pitched at 61 degrees.  Pro-tip: Don't shake the can before you open it.  Face full of yeasty wort.  Seriously, I don't know what I was thinking.

Fortunately most of the product stayed in the can, and I poured an impressively large clump of slurry into my fermenter.  I will report back when I start seeing some visible signs of fermentation.

It was fermenting strong this morning (approximately 10 hours after pitching).   About a half inch of krausen, and vigorous airlock activity.  I haven't used this strain enough to know if it is typically a quick starter, but I am very pleased with the performance so far.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2015, 02:02:23 pm »
I picked up a couple cans of "House" to try out this weekend.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified