Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Yeast Company  (Read 8550 times)

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
Re: New Yeast Company
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2015, 03:02:21 pm »
I picked up a couple cans of "House" to try out this weekend.

Is "House" their version of 1056/wlp01/Chico?

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2015, 04:40:49 pm »
I picked up a couple cans of "House" to try out this weekend.

Is "House" their version of 1056/wlp01/Chico?

No, I believe Flagship is their version of "1056", I think House may be similar to NW Ale, not sure.
I'll try to corner Owen and get some insight on their strain comparisons.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2015, 11:57:43 pm »
If I could go back to organic vs "normal".

Question is:

if I take normal yeast and keep making  organic wort and I am on let say 5-th generation. Is my yeast organic at that time? As we know all original cells are dead by then.

The same goes if I get organic yeast and feed it with normal wort and I am on 5-th generation. Is this yeast still organic or not?

Thank you.
Good questions. I have similar thoughts about non-organic seeds that turn into plants raised organically. I don't really think the yeast cells matter so much its probably the wort they grow them in and hence the barley. Don't forget that organic farming is not just about the food we ingest but also the effect on our ecosystem. The more people buy organic the less pesticides, herbicides, and chemical fertilizers are used and less toxic materials are getting into our water supply and food and soil. Also less unintended consequences like beehive collapse disorder. Also the more people who buy organic the more farmers see it as profitable and produce a critical mass to get advantages of scale and lower prices.

Pete - I just want to say how grateful I am for all of your posts in this thread.  I agree on all fronts.  I appreciate the efforts of many in this time in our history to attempt to return at least a healthy segment of our overall food production to sustainable, natural farming methods that enrich the soil through traditional methods such as crop rotation and livestock "fertilizer" that in balance create "systems" that provides the platform to manage a typically diverse array of more nutritional, and much better tasting vegetables, fruits and meats, which "systems" big business has attempted to convince us as a nation are not in our best interest. 

I just read that 1/2 of the U.S. population has, or is in danger of getting diabetes.  Something like 65% of our food production is starches, mostly wheat, and the majority of companies have stripped out so many of the nutritional and tasty parts of bread for the sake of making products shelf-stable (and therefore more commercially viable for long term transport and storage), that it's no wonder that many people have become gluten intolerant and suffer other toxic effects from what for ages has been hailed as "the staff of life".  If only we could convince people to just say "no" to the fast food, giant production company mentality.  It is indeed interesting that organic farmers are now sometimes sought out as experts to improve the bottom line for until now non-organic enterprises.

I must admit that I buy only a limited amount of organic foods due to cost but I do try to enjoy satisfying food and stay healthy, and desire to support good stewards of our lands and our people's right to healthy food, even if only by buying from a farmer's market or roadside stand.

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2015, 05:33:33 am »
200 billion is still not enough for me in my 14 gallon conical.

Offline f.stepanski

• 1st Kit
  • I'm a beer drinker with a woodturning problem
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2015, 07:11:52 am »
There is a new company in Richmond VA, RVA Yeast Labs. 200 Billion cells
http://www.rvayeastlabs.com/homebrewers.html
Our brew club did a Iron Brew all used same wort & 12 different RVA yeasts.  Each had a unique flavor, all were very good..  They are small & just starting out, so limited distribution at this time..
Black IPA & Hefeweizen on draft, fermenting an APA...

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
New Yeast Company
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2015, 07:17:23 am »
Our brew club did a Iron Brew all used same wort & 12 different RVA yeasts.  Each had a unique flavor, all were very good..  They are small & just starting out, so limited distribution at this time..

RVA has been around for about 2 years now right? I use them all the time since I live in RVA.
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2015, 10:21:11 am »
My LHBS carries a few RVA strains but I haven't tried them yet. Sounds like I could do a direct pitch if it does indeed have 200b cells since I brew 2.5 gallon batches. My curiosity is peaked. ;)
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2015, 12:00:13 pm »
I will probably stick with White Labs.  It is what I've always used and they are based out of my state of residence.  These things look cool, but I have to say the "organic" marketing seems a bit gimmicky.  Best of luck to them.