Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stuck fermentation?  (Read 1991 times)

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
Stuck fermentation?
« on: December 03, 2016, 08:52:28 am »
I have an English Brown ale that has been fermenting since 11/18.  I used Wyeast 1450 and I'm stuck at 1.020.  I was hoping to get closer to 1.010.  I started at 1.055.  Should I add more yeast or just let it ride another week and bottle.  I am happy with how it currently taste but I have never had a beer finish this high so I am not sure what to do.  Recipe listed below. 

Mashed single infusion @ 156 (Although it may have been a little higher)

Maris Otter- 65.2 %
Caramel/Crystal Malt- 10.9 %
Flaked Oats- 8.7 %
Victory- 4 6.5 %
Brown Malt- 5 5.4 %
Chocolate Malt-6 3.3 %
Wyeast 1450- Denny's Favorite

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Stuck fermentation?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 09:09:44 am »
You may very well be rather than stuck.  Do a forced fermentation test.  It will tell you id you have any fermentable sugars left.  My guess is that you don't.  You have a lot of less fermentable grain in your recipe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

The Beerery

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 09:12:43 am »
That FG is very indicative of a high mash temp and higher amounts of cara's.  As a general rule of thumb for me a FG of 1.020 is about 160 mash temp. I bet it's done.

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 09:25:48 am »
That FG is very indicative of a high mash temp and higher amounts of cara's.  As a general rule of thumb for me a FG of 1.020 is about 160 mash temp. I bet it's done.

I know this is a real newbie question but I am still learning about all the aspect of all grain brewing, including grains.

Are you considering the roasted/dark malts in my recipe the same as a cara's in terms of the unfermentables they bring to a recipe?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 09:32:43 am »

I know this is a real newbie question but I am still learning about all the aspect of all grain brewing, including grains.

Are you considering the roasted/dark malts in my recipe the same as a cara's in terms of the unfermentables they bring to a recipe?

Yes.  Your grist bill has a major effect on fermentability, mash temp less so.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 09:43:36 am »

What could I do next time to make a little more fermentable but maintain the flavor I have achieved.  I am pretty happy with how it taste and it fits to the style.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 10:12:23 am »

What could I do next time to make a little more fermentable but maintain the flavor I have achieved.  I am pretty happy with how it taste and it fits to the style.

If it tastes good and fits the style, is the FG really an issue?  After all, you drink the beer, not the numbers.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Stuck fermentation?
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 10:21:39 am »
Consider using Munich malt in place of the crystal malt.  Also,  I find that Marris Otter gives enough biscuit and nutty flavor on its own.  I don't use victory with MO. I try to keep specialty grains around 10% of the total grain bill unless I have a specific reason for more. Also, mash lower but you know this.  Get a decent digital thermometer for about $20 to track your temps.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 01:22:37 pm by bboy9000 »
Brian
mobrewer