Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Date...  (Read 2944 times)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Re: NHC Date...
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 08:43:13 am »
Room rates are a big deal. At Philly, Gary Glass said they had locked in a good rate during the recession, and if they were to book again at that time, 2013, the rates would be doubled. The hotel rate is a deal breaker for many.
I'm sure that's a huge factor in picking locations and dates.  It was definitely in the survey (how much would you be willing to pay for a hotel).  Personally, I'm more sensitive to value rather than outright cost.  I thought the Town and Country was overpriced, but have paid more per night at hotels on many occasions and been fine with it.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 09:25:44 am »
All the districts around here, as far as I know, end the regular school year the week before Memorial Day.
Same here.  School usually starts in August and is wrapped up at the end of May.  We almost never get snow days, though (has happened twice in the ten years my daughter has been in school).  We do get hurricane days sometimes, though.
Here in NH, we start at the end of August, then throw in a few weeks for Christmas, February, and April vacations, and finish up around June 10-12.  Any snow days have to be made up (although the last few days this year were spent doing field days, watching movies, etc).  Last year, my district instituted "Blizzard Bags"...assignments in case of a snow day the kids do and if 80% of the population do them, it doesn't count as a snow day.  The assignment had nothing to do with what the kids were studying.  Some basic math and writing exercises...well below the level he's at.

Maybe I should homeschool him next year and finish around June 1st.  ;)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 12:53:35 pm »
I am in the move it back to a week later camp. If you're a father and you live homebrewing and want to go to the conference then, it seems to me, your family should actually encourage you to go.. I mean the NHC is a fairly involved thing to go to (both time and money). If you're planning on attending I'm assuming you have passion for homebrewing. I didn't realize father's day was a day fathers were forced to spend time with their kids. My father loves to sail and if a big sailing race was on fathers day weekend I wouldn't be trying to stop him..
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2015, 04:41:47 pm »

I am in the move it back to a week later camp. If you're a father and you live homebrewing and want to go to the conference then, it seems to me, your family should actually encourage you to go.. I mean the NHC is a fairly involved thing to go to (both time and money). If you're planning on attending I'm assuming you have passion for homebrewing. I didn't realize father's day was a day fathers were forced to spend time with their kids. My father loves to sail and if a big sailing race was on fathers day weekend I wouldn't be trying to stop him..
I actually want to spend time with my kids on Father's Day, my wife doesn't make me, though I'd consider attending NHC that weekend.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2015, 04:53:17 pm »
Personally, I'm more sensitive to value rather than outright cost.  I thought the Town and Country was overpriced, but have paid more per night at hotels on many occasions and been fine with it.

Me too, I would have paid more for nicer accommodations.  However, I am at a point in my life where I have that luxury.  It was not always that way.

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2015, 05:58:42 pm »
 I would  not like it on father's day.  I think the weekend  it's  on is perfect.  Weekend before  would be  even better.  Any later in the summer  and it will be expensive and harder for more people to get to. 
- Charles

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2015, 06:18:22 pm »

I would  not like it on father's day.  I think the weekend  it's  on is perfect.  Weekend before  would be  even better.  Any later in the summer  and it will be expensive and harder for more people to get to.
Weekend before would be fantastic.

Offline oldstoneface

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2015, 10:54:40 pm »

Not for those of us near CA. That would be the same weekend as the Firestone Walker Invitational which is my favorite craft beer festival of the year. :-p

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2015, 11:00:47 pm »

Not for those of us near CA. That would be the same weekend as the Firestone Walker Invitational which is my favorite craft beer festival of the year. :-p
Very true. I skipped this year due to not being able to afford both two weeks apart.  The FW festival is amazing.
- Charles