A slight change in direction for this build. Lots of work done. After a few test batches on the 11g and the realization that I wanted more beer from a brew day I decided to build essentially the same thing, only using my old keggle. 13g really works perfectly with the dual 2000W elements, the boil is aggressive without spilling over. This way I can ferment 12 gallons from a single batch. Same amount of work, more beer!Progress since the change in direction:
New stand, mounted pump, mounted spring toggle latches. Having a quick release system for the vessel is one of the best features of the system. Just one TC clamp and two latches and I can lift the vessel of it's stand, spray it out in the sink and put it back on in only a few minutes.
Ordered tons of TC fittings, mainly a solid route from the pump up to the top of the vessel for continuos sparge (had a little incident where the hose slipped out of the clip and sprayed wort all over the kitchen
). Also a TC port and whirlpool arm will be fabricated and welded onto the vessel. Debating between a direct tangential one and a face flange at the top with 90º arm dipping inside.
Got the thermowell welded to a TC flange inline with the pump flow, reads ~0.7º from true which I'm pleased with.Things to do:
I've got to bore out the top of the keg to fit the old kettle inside. I'll actually be using the kettle itself as my bag strainer as the strainer the Bayou came with tops out at ~25lbs of grain. I'm thinking this will get me near 30lbs. It'll just need a boatload of holes in the bottom.
Fabricate something to hold the basket above the water for draining.
Changing the enclosure for the control panel. I'll only be using the panel to control one element for maintaining mash temps and just plugging the other one in for heat up and full boil. Got a nice extruded aluminum box (typically used to house computer hardware) for the enclosure. I plan to pop off the front and back and throw them on the CNC to mill out shapes for the PID, outlets etc as fit up wasn't very good on my last attempt doing with with a punch and a dremel.
It's been super helpful brewing on this system as the build progresses, I've gotten a clearer picture of what I want this system to be minimally capable of and where I can cut out fluff that over complicates it and my brewday.