Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rethinking my brewery  (Read 6669 times)

Offline dalenlandis

• 1st Kit
Re: Rethinking my brewery
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 09:40:20 pm »
Also the drain may not be necessary, I dump the spent grains in a 5 gal pail to feed chickens and with a quick rinse you can pop it in the dishwasher (I haven't had great success with the dishwasher though)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 10:01:01 pm »
I would really like to have a deep utility sink nearby so cleanup is easy. I could run a vent out of my basement,

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 09:40:06 am »
God I feel the pain of no dedicated brewery which is why I often do smaller batches biab. Much of the time I save is in having less stuff to lug and using the kitchen stove. So what size batch can a zymatic handle assuming not super high gravity.
I'm pretty sure it's a straight ahead 2.5 gallon batch size (although I'm sure there's a max gravity based on the amount of grain it can hold).  OK, looked it up, and it appears to brew with a finished batch size of 2.5 gallons with a starting wort amount of ~3 gallons.  It can brew beers with up to a 1.090 OG without adding DME (according to their FAQ).

Yep.  Tops out at 9 lb. of grain, but you can get up to 1.090 with it.  That means that you could make 5 gal. of a 1.045 beer by dilution.  I start with 3.25 gal. of water and end up with a 2.5 gal. batch.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 11:51:53 am »
I have not had a wild yeast problem. But, I've always wondered about applying starsan to fermenters freshly rinsed with tap water after cleaning- even if it is just to get some dust off. Perhaps it would be better to let them dry first?

Moved the brewery out of the garage and back into the kitchen years back. But have rethought matters and have been making some nice upgrades. More to come on that...

If I lived in a small apartment again the zymatic would be nice to have.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tysonwaynelee

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 10:07:47 am »
I have been brewing for 21yrs and received my Zymatic about 10 days ago. I have already brewed two batches which are in the chamber now. Itching to return home from business travel this week and brew another. I find the simplicity of it all the best for me. Gives me back family time and still allows me to pursue my hobby.  Verdict still out on the final result for me but I'm not too concerned.  The perfect crush is far more important on the Zymatic.....I am finding.

Severum

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 10:57:53 am »
I have been brewing for 21yrs and received my Zymatic about 10 days ago. I have already brewed two batches which are in the chamber now. Itching to return home from business travel this week and brew another. I find the simplicity of it all the best for me. Gives me back family time and still allows me to pursue my hobby.  Verdict still out on the final result for me but I'm not too concerned.  The perfect crush is far more important on the Zymatic.....I am finding.

Severum

Yeah, I found that about the crush on the Zymatic also, but it only took me a couple batches to find a mill setting that worked well both with the Zymatic and my cooler system.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 02:35:34 pm »
On the topic of sanitizers, about 10 years ago when I started brewing lambics I started to get a nasty infection that star san and bleach just didn't seem to take care of.  I finally got rid of it for good when I boiled all my hoses and small parts, and gave my fermentors and kegs a thorough soaking in a quaternary ammonium solution.  I try to repeat the quat soak once every couple of years, just to knock any resistant bug strains.

Online tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 03:41:37 pm »

Severum

Yeah, I found that about the crush on the Zymatic also, but it only took me a couple batches to find a mill setting that worked well both with the Zymatic and my cooler system.
Did you have to open the gap or close it?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2015, 06:24:53 pm »
Yep.  Tops out at 9 lb. of grain, but you can get up to 1.090 with it.  That means that you could make 5 gal. of a 1.045 beer by dilution.  I start with 3.25 gal. of water and end up with a 2.5 gal. batch.
If you were shooting for a bigger beer, could you brew a smaller batch (like 2 gallons) with the full 9 pounds of grain? Or is there a minimum amount of water, or mash thickness constraints? Could you run an iterated mash by replacing the grains and mashing a 2nd time, or are you forced to go straight to the boil process from the mash?

I really like the PicoBrew concept. The main constraint on my brewing is time. If I had an appliance that let me "set it and forget it" through the entire mash and boil, I'd be able to brew way more often. I already brew 2.5 gallon batches, so that would work out perfect for me. If the price point was lower, I'd be all over it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tysonwaynelee

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 07:55:12 pm »

Severum

My crush was very fine with my cooler setup.  I am having to open up the gap for a more coarse crush to raise my efficiency.  It sounds counter-intuitive, but the Zymatic recirculates the mash and doesn't really sparge.  Too fine a crush prohibits a good filter.  At least that is my experience in the limited two brews.

Severum

Online tommymorris

Rethinking my brewery
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 09:05:47 pm »

Severum

My crush was very fine with my cooler setup.  I am having to open up the gap for a more coarse crush to raise my efficiency.  It sounds counter-intuitive, but the Zymatic recirculates the mash and doesn't really sparge.  Too fine a crush prohibits a good filter.  At least that is my experience in the limited two brews.

Severum

Thanks! I want one. Gotta wait a while though.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:43:56 am by alestateyall »

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 07:36:00 am »
If you were shooting for a bigger beer, could you brew a smaller batch (like 2 gallons) with the full 9 pounds of grain? Or is there a minimum amount of water, or mash thickness constraints? Could you run an iterated mash by replacing the grains and mashing a 2nd time, or are you forced to go straight to the boil process from the mash?
Their suggestion is to increase the gravity by adding DME (from what I recall in the FAQ, they suggest mixing it into the grain bed).  There are supposedly more techniques in their forums also, but since I can't get one at the price Denny did, I haven't gone through the trouble of looking.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 09:26:20 am »

[/quote]

I opened it up a very small amount.  Small enough that it hasn't affected my efficiency when I brew in the cooler.

www.dennybrew.com

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 09:27:09 am »

I really like the PicoBrew concept. The main constraint on my brewing is time. If I had an appliance that let me "set it and forget it" through the entire mash and boil, I'd be able to brew way more often. I already brew 2.5 gallon batches, so that would work out perfect for me. If the price point was lower, I'd be all over it.

Yep, you can certainly do that.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 09:42:19 am »
I just read up about the zymatic and am considering it. (I wish it was $1k instead of $2k) I see that it doesn't really boil, it heats to just under a boil. Has anyone who has used one brewed some pilsner malt heavy beers that might be susceptible to DMS?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.