Author Topic: Rethinking my brewery  (Read 3217 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Brewmaster General
  • Tommy M.
    • View Profile
Re: Rethinking my brewery
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »

I just read up about the zymatic and am considering it. (I wish it was $1k instead of $2k) I see that it doesn't really boil, it heats to just under a boil. Has anyone who has used one brewed some pilsner malt heavy beers that might be susceptible to DMS?
I wonder if competition will put price pressure on them. My guess is no because they are the only fully automated brew system. But systems like Grainfather are much cheaper.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 03:54:03 PM »

I just read up about the zymatic and am considering it. (I wish it was $1k instead of $2k) I see that it doesn't really boil, it heats to just under a boil. Has anyone who has used one brewed some pilsner malt heavy beers that might be susceptible to DMS?
I wonder if competition will put price pressure on them. My guess is no because they are the only fully automated brew system. But systems like Grainfather are much cheaper.
I haven't checked out grainfather yet. I'm personally hoping to find a used one. People often re-sell hobby equipment.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline tommymorris

• Brewmaster General
  • Tommy M.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2015, 03:56:44 PM »

I haven't checked out grainfather yet. I'm personally hoping to find a used one. People often re-sell hobby equipment.
Grainfather is an electric mash tun boil kettle all in one. It's not automated. You have to monitor the brew, add hops, etc. Different category but sort of similar in that it's a all in one type system.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2015, 04:04:21 PM »

Grainfather is an electric mash tun boil kettle all in one. It's not automated. You have to monitor the brew, add hops, etc. Different category but sort of similar in that it's a all in one type system.
The hands off part is really what appeals to me.

Offline tommymorris

• Brewmaster General
  • Tommy M.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 04:16:25 PM »

The hands off part is really what appeals to me.
Me, too. I am just hoping the litany new systems Brewbot, Brewie, Grainfather, etc might cause some price pressure and save us some money.

AIH had a 10% off sale for Father's Day and gave 5% store credit (their points program) plus $50  gift card. That was quite a deal. If I see something like that again I plan to pull the trigger.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 04:54:43 PM »

I've made both pils and tripel with mine and it's not a problem.  It gets the wort to 207-208 and the constant recirculation mimics a rolling boil.  The few degrees below boiling doesn't matter at all because of that recirculation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2015, 05:35:31 PM »

I've made both pils and tripel with mine and it's not a problem.  It gets the wort to 207-208 and the constant recirculation mimics a rolling boil.  The few degrees below boiling doesn't matter at all because of that recirculation.
I see, that makes total sense that the recirc and heat would cause volatile molecules to go bye-bye. I was very skeptical but it sounds amazing.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2015, 05:46:59 PM »
I see, that makes total sense that the recirc and heat would cause volatile molecules to go bye-bye. I was very skeptical but it sounds amazing.

I was very skeptical also!  My first reaction was "DO NOT WANT!".  After finding out that Annie Johnson was involved with the company, I decided I should give it a closer look.  Glad I did!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2015, 11:08:54 AM »
Too bad there isn't a chiller built in to the zymatic. Then it truly would have been automated, but probably add another $1k to the pricetag...

New roof or zymatic? Choices.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2015, 04:10:04 PM »
Too bad there isn't a chiller built in to the zymatic. Then it truly would have been automated, but probably add another $1k to the pricetag...

New roof or zymatic? Choices.

Many people hook up a plate or immersion chiller with it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline woolybuggerbrew

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2015, 06:32:35 AM »
Just received my Zymatic, and have ran one brew (Pico pale ale).  No DMS, even though sat warm in the closed keg for 1 hour extra after brew being completed due to being out hiking extra than planned with family (the whole point to purchasing it being able to live life while still being able to brew) & no DMS noted in final product (was worried the DMS would re-accumulate while warm in enclosed keg).  Still have to try making a Pilsner though. 

Just purchased the fittings to connect a Therminator plate chiller to speed up chilling.  Although, took ~20 minutes to chill with ice/water bath with the first batch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bryon / Portland, OR

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2015, 04:22:28 PM »
Just received my Zymatic, and have ran one brew (Pico pale ale).  No DMS, even though sat warm in the closed keg for 1 hour extra after brew being completed due to being out hiking extra than planned with family (the whole point to purchasing it being able to live life while still being able to brew) & no DMS noted in final product (was worried the DMS would re-accumulate while warm in enclosed keg).  Still have to try making a Pilsner though. 

Just purchased the fittings to connect a Therminator plate chiller to speed up chilling.  Although, took ~20 minutes to chill with ice/water bath with the first batch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've done 8-10 Zymatic brews now and no DMS in any of them.  And I chill pretty slowly.  Ice bath to about 100F, then pour into a bucket.  Put the bucket in my chest freezer and pitch a few hours to the next day later.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • View Profile
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2015, 11:35:31 PM »
i will be running my first test on new induction electric plates. i've been using it to heat strike water, and will try it on the boil tomorrow to see how quickly it comes to boil. if successful, i will be completely indoors for the winter.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2015, 12:07:01 AM »
i will be running my first test on new induction electric plates. i've been using it to heat strike water, and will try it on the boil tomorrow to see how quickly it comes to boil. if successful, i will be completely indoors for the winter.

Hope it works out for ya. Indoor winter brewing sounds a little more pleasant in your area !
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

• Brewmaster General
  • Tommy M.
    • View Profile
Rethinking my brewery
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2015, 01:04:05 AM »
I just switched to 3G batches. One benefit I didn't think too much about is I heat my batch with electric heat stick and propane burner. Then one I get to boil I turn off the propane burner and main to boil with just the heat stick. My propane usage is way down.

I also heat my mash and sparge water with the heat stick.