Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation Temperature - Pt. 3: Lager Yeast | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 4600 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: Fermentation Temperature - Pt. 3: Lager Yeast | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 09:52:37 am »
I also think I got it wrong but remind me what I picked, if you could.

And hey! No women's shirts? Sad panda.  :(

Amanda, you actually got it right :)

We did the women's shirts last time and, quite frankly, the women who ordered them thought they sucked. My wife is about your size and said she much prefers the medium unisex shirts, I think they look better too. It's annoying, as well, because adding the women's option decreases the size of the image on the shirt (hence the small image on the last run).

Hey, all that sensory training did pay off!  :) But, even if I had gotten it wrong I'd still be sticking with your lager method anyway. It's producing amazing lagers. I'll have to get a few in some competitions and see how they do.

I totally understand on the women's shirts - I was really just giving you crap.  :P I just got finished with volunteering all weekend at a festival and the little gimme was - you guessed it - another men's shirt. Hooray!  ::)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 10:00:28 am »
You picked RED. The worst (best?)part is that I had all incorrect guessers compare the 2 similar beers for the next part...
lol  sneaky.  So did I remember correctly about the one I selected for the other exbeeriment?

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 10:05:48 am »
Good job, buddy!  I'm pretty sure I go it wrong, but tell me...

Your intuition is correct, Denny, you selected RED.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 10:08:31 am »
You picked RED. The worst (best?)part is that I had all incorrect guessers compare the 2 similar beers for the next part...
lol  sneaky.  So did I remember correctly about the one I selected for the other exbeeriment?

I think so. You picked GREEN in that one... I'm not yet ready to say which was correct though. Next Monday, I'm still working on that article.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 10:30:20 am »
I think so. You picked GREEN in that one... I'm not yet ready to say which was correct though. Next Monday, I'm still working on that article.
Nope, apparently I remembered wrong.  I thought I picked blue in one.  I'm probably more curious about the results of that one since it was dealing with FWH.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 10:47:51 am »
Good job, buddy!  I'm pretty sure I go it wrong, but tell me...

Your intuition is correct, Denny, you selected RED.

I suck....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 11:11:54 am »
Nice.  One thing to remember when people mention the 'trained taster' thing is that BJCP judges are not necessarily trained tasters per se.  Many of us literally conduct our own training, and in most cases, it's more geared towards detecting off-flavors and how to fix them.  I need to take better notes on these kind of things.  I don't remember which beer I picked in each (I only remember I picked the red in one and the blue in another lol).
BJCP means something but not beer analysis machine. I think the closer format is to a style guidelines contest the better they do. In fact they have a tendency to try to turn everything into a guideline comparison. They are great at off flavor detection. They aren't good at guess the ingredients, guess the process, and even pretty spotty at guess the substyle

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 11:18:44 am »
I suck....
That means I suck more... I got it wrong 4 times out of 5, and I knew what the hell was different!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 11:20:48 am »
Nice.  One thing to remember when people mention the 'trained taster' thing is that BJCP judges are not necessarily trained tasters per se.  Many of us literally conduct our own training, and in most cases, it's more geared towards detecting off-flavors and how to fix them.  I need to take better notes on these kind of things.  I don't remember which beer I picked in each (I only remember I picked the red in one and the blue in another lol).
BJCP means something but not beer analysis machine. I think the closer format is to a style guidelines contest the better they do. In fact they have a tendency to try to turn everything into a guideline comparison. They are great at off flavor detection. They aren't good at guess the ingredients, guess the process, and even pretty spotty at guess the substyle
You learn not to comment, as you will often be wrong.

I have been told to decoct a German beer for better results, it was double decocted.
Use Munich malt next time, it had a big % Munich.
Your Helped should be all Pils, it was.
And so on.

How well would you do?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 11:29:13 am »
Wonder what the master, Gordon Strong, would say about these two beers.

Nice experiment, Marshall. I've fermented Bohemain lager strains warmer (Wy2124, Saflager 34/70, WLP830) and it produces a nice clean beer. Curious that the 800 fermented so clean.
Jesse

rabeb25

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 11:38:12 am »

I have been told to decoct a German beer for better results, it was double decocted.
And so on.

How well would you do?

To be honest, this is exactly why I don't compete anymore. Having 3 different comments to the same beer at the same table drives me NUTS. Comment 1 too bitter, try lowering 60 minute addition. Comment 2 needs more bittering hops. Comment 3 nice beer, very balanced. SIGH

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 11:39:52 am »

And so on.

How well would you do?
My MO is describe it, score it, compliment it, offer a generic suggestion.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 11:55:25 am »
I would bet that I guessed wrong, too, but I swear one tasted different to me.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 11:58:10 am »
I would bet that I guessed wrong, too, but I swear one tasted different to me.

Yeah, same here.  But like Drew and I showed in our seminar, it's easy to set yourself up with false expectations.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 12:01:33 pm »
I'm pretty sure I guessed wrong  and wasn't  very confident in my choice of different beers anyway
- Charles