Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ey! Where you get your honey at?  (Read 3832 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Ey! Where you get your honey at?
« on: June 22, 2015, 10:54:40 am »
It has been decided that we are getting into mead. (Thaaaaanks NHC 2015) After listening to Schramm, Piatz, Curt Stock, and Fairbrother... well we are just too excited to not try it out.

I've already burned through Piatz's book and I'm most of the way through Schramm's. I have all of the equipment, the supplies, and basically everything except for the honey. There are too many choices as to what to buy and where/who to buy it from.

We are doing two batches right off the bat - a riff on Curt & Kathy's triple berry melomel and an orange blossom traditional. I believe we are going to just get the honey for the melomel from Costco as they sell clover honey. The orange blossom is where I'm curious as to where other people find their honey. So far I've seen a wide variety from Dutch Gold (which I think is not raw) to Bee Folks (which is raw), with a $60+ difference in price for 5 gallon pails. I don't know enough to figure out if there really is a difference between the two.

So anyway - recommendations would be awesome. I trust you guys and your experience, so fire away.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Ey! Where you get your honey at?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 11:00:09 am »
Look around. There are bee keepers everywhere and you can find some honey with local character. Not to mention helping support a vital local craft.

that said, raw honey is going to have better flavor and aroma as it hasn't been heated.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 11:04:17 am »
Look around. There are bee keepers everywhere and you can find some honey with local character. Not to mention helping support a vital local craft.

that said, raw honey is going to have better flavor and aroma as it hasn't been heated.

I found two beekeepers/honey vendors in my area. They are asking ~$15 for an 8 ounce jar of wildflower honey. Yowza.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 11:06:47 am »
I've heard great stuff about the company below. May have been here or on another forum. Sure, shipping can be a hassle, costly, and not local. I plan on making lots of mead when I move out that way.

http://www.honeypacifica.com

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 11:17:48 am »
Local is great if you can afford it. However iv'e had great experiences with  https://www.dutchgoldhoney.com/.
Orange blossom is tasty.
Jimmykx250

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 11:21:22 am »

I found two beekeepers/honey vendors in my area. They are asking ~$15 for an 8 ounce jar of wildflower honey. Yowza.

yikes! they don't have bulk pricing?

Do you have a health food/coop type store in your area? that's often a good source for local bulk honey.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 11:29:42 am »
When I do not buy local, I like to use these folks:

http://www.flyingbeeranch.net/

The carrot blossom is my favorite. I also really like the baby's breath. Meadowfoam makes a great braggot.
Kyle M.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 11:47:36 am »
Local is great if you can afford it. However iv'e had great experiences with  https://www.dutchgoldhoney.com/.
Orange blossom is tasty.

This is what I have used and I love it.  I also believe Michael Fairbrother sources a lot of his honey form them (and McClure's in NH, which they also own).  I can get a 60 lb pail of wildflower from them for about $168 shipped, which works out to about $2.81 per lb.  Not a bad price.  Other local options for me end up being closer to $4-5 /lb.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 12:05:03 pm »
We have bee farmer in Florida who is also a homebrewer and mead maker.  Look for David Webb of Webb's Honey in Orlando.  I believe he will give you a very good price.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 12:11:11 pm »

We have bee farmer in Florida who is also a homebrewer and mead maker.  Look for David Webb of Webb's Honey in Orlando.  I believe he will give you a very good price.
Bee keeper seems like a cover for a secret agent if you ask me.

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 01:45:13 pm »
I go directly with a local guy, raw 5 gallon buckets are about $200.  It makes me happy when my own hives produce enough but its often not the case. If you get into it you can get a hive or two for your back yard, your orchard and veggies will benefit.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Tim Thomssen

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 05:48:31 pm »
Believe it or not, we have access to some wonderful local honey that makes pretty good mead, right here in Lincoln Nebraska.  Actually just outside of Lincoln anyway.  If I remember right it was around $30 for a 1 gallon jug, about 12 pounds.  I decided to give it a try after learning that the BOS mead in the Sowers Cup last year was made with that honey.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 06:29:09 pm »
I also am newly interested in mead after the NHC.

I've already burned through Piatz's book and I'm most of the way through Schramm's.

Does one of those books seem noticeably better than the other?  I am trying to decide which one to read first.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 07:20:10 pm »
I also am newly interested in mead after the NHC.

I've already burned through Piatz's book and I'm most of the way through Schramm's.

Does one of those books seem noticeably better than the other?  I am trying to decide which one to read first.
Ken's book has been out since 2003. It went to press before the staged nutrient additions were worked out and proven. There is a Zymurgy article by him a year or 2 later that outlines the nutrient additions. Styles, honey, recipes are well covered, as are techniques.

The Piatz book is newer, so more up to date. I have not seen it, so no rating from me. There is a Zymurgy article by him in the last several years that was pretty good.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 08:56:39 pm »
Believe it or not, we have access to some wonderful local honey that makes pretty good mead, right here in Lincoln Nebraska.  Actually just outside of Lincoln anyway.  If I remember right it was around $30 for a 1 gallon jug, about 12 pounds.  I decided to give it a try after learning that the BOS mead in the Sowers Cup last year was made with that honey.

Side note, that was a damn fine batch of tupelo mead you entered a few places this year. Been predicting NHC glory for it. Well done.