Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: how warm is to warm?  (Read 1415 times)

Offline FunkyMonkey

• 1st Kit
how warm is to warm?
« on: June 25, 2015, 05:21:20 pm »
So I was getting excited and jumped the gun on pitching my yeast today on my brew day. To be exact, I cooled the wort with an immersion chiller after about 15-20 minutes and read it at 85*. I siphoned over to my carboy and pitched my yeast. 5 hours later I haven't seen any signs of fermentation. I understand that this is still early in fermentation to worry, but how badly will I have affected my brew.
Bottled: Cider and Cali Common
Fermenting: White House Honey Porter
Planning: Rosewater/ Turkish Delight Brown Ale?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: how warm is to warm?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 05:31:02 pm »
Fermentation will start up, but you certainly have affected the final product. You may get more fusel alcohols (hot and solvent) and a high amount of fruity esters. Try to control yourself next time. I have pitched next day without harm. Sanitation is key.

Offline FunkyMonkey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 05:33:59 pm »
each time is a new learning experience, this was my 7th batch now each has been better than the last. I can be sure I won't pitch to early next time
Bottled: Cider and Cali Common
Fermenting: White House Honey Porter
Planning: Rosewater/ Turkish Delight Brown Ale?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 05:40:53 pm »
Read about managing temperature during fermentation. Fermentation temperature is the most important factor in making ok beer great in my opinion. Search for son of fermentation, swamp cooler, and chest freezer threads

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 05:46:19 pm »
Just be a little more patient. And let this one finish out so you can taste what that does. It may not be as bad as you think. Though generally I try to pitch at or slightly below my target fermentation temp.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 05:29:56 am »
Yeast love that temp, so you didn't kill them. But they don't make the best beer at that temp. If you do pitch warm be sure to cool it down as soon as possible. For most regular ale strains an ambient temp of about 60 degrees is usually good. Remember that fermentation is exothermic so actual temp of beer could be as much as 6 degrees higher or even warmer.

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 08:07:45 am »
One of the first times I brewed I got in a hurry and had to leave for a couple days. I pitched wyeast scotish yeast when it was 90 degrees. Might as well of just poured gasoline in the fermentor. I let it sit 6 months and the whole batch was still undrinkable.

Good luck

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 08:48:16 am »
To me, it sounds like you maybe underpitched or pitched older yeast if you haven't seen any signs of fermentation yet.  Though, in all honesty 5 hours is a pretty short time to know.  I'm happy if the yeast are working when I check on the beer the morning after brew day.

I also think that the temperature you're fermenting at is more important than the temperature you pitched at, though it's not best practice to pitch into warmer beer.  If you're fermenting in the 60s, I think you should have no worries.  If you're fermenting in the 90s, you will get lots of hot alcohol and other unpleasantness.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 09:05:45 am »
What yeast strain?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale