Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Liquid Yeast > Dry Yeast?  (Read 5719 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Liquid Yeast > Dry Yeast?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 02:14:50 pm »
I used 05 quite a bit before I reached the conclusion that it's not the same as 001/1056.  For that matter, even 001 and 1056 don't give me the same result.  That's not to say that any of them are bad.  They just have subtle differences from one another.  Use whichever gives you the results you like.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 02:54:41 pm »
The classic reason that liquid is seen as better was that when homebrewing was just starting up again in the 70s, the dry yeasts available at the time weren't as pure of a culture.  That reasoning isn't really true anymore, so basically the only reason for liquid over dry now is whether you can find the strain that goes with the style you're brewing.

I agree. Having kids, I like to be able to brew on short (or no) notice and I'm good using 05 for American styles in a pinch. But as someone who brews a lot of Belgian styles, I'm still waiting on better dry Belgian options. Belle saison (allegedly 3711) works fairly well, but that's it. The other dry Belgian strains leave something to be desired IMO. All things equal I still prefer liquid cultures, given the time to make a starter.
Jon H.

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 05:09:29 pm »
Belle saison (allegedly 3711) works fairly well, but that's it. The other dry Belgian strains leave something to be desired IMO. All things equal I still prefer liquid cultures, given the time to make a starter.

If Belle Saison is 3711 I'll eat my hat! I love 3711, and it's my preferred saison yeast. Belle Saison (BS?  ;D) is one I don't like at all. It's been an absolute lemon bomb whenever I've used it, and I've seen that in beers other people in my club have made.

Back to the original topic, I teach classes for the LHBS, and I always get questions about dry vs liquid. The comments in this thread are almost verbatim what I tell people. It's nice to have validation!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 05:56:11 pm »
If Belle Saison is 3711 I'll eat my hat! I love 3711, and it's my preferred saison yeast. Belle Saison (BS?  ;D) is one I don't like at all. It's been an absolute lemon bomb whenever I've used it, and I've seen that in beers other people in my club have made.

Yeah, I'm not totally convinced either. I've read a few references to BS (;D ) being 3711 but that doesn't make it so. Belle is more lemony to me, too.  Regardless, not loving the dry Belgian strains.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 06:04:45 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 06:23:38 pm »
I'm really excited about this, especially the K97. I'd definitely work up a house altbier recipe if I could keep a couple of packs of German ale yeast in the fridge at all times.

US-05 (as well as 1056 and 001) works just about as well for an alt as anything else.
That may be true, but the fermentation character of 1007 is something that I really enjoy in my alts. I've heard that K97 is the dry equivalent.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 07:52:02 pm »
I used 05 quite a bit before I reached the conclusion that it's not the same as 001/1056.  For that matter, even 001 and 1056 don't give me the same result.  That's not to say that any of them are bad.  They just have subtle differences from one another.  Use whichever gives you the results you like.
Some years back, 2009, an AABG member fermented the same wort with those. U.S.-05<001<1056 was the impression, but not by much.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 08:41:27 pm »
While I do not use commercial yeast very often, I have always preferred Wyeast's cultures to White Labs' equivalent cultures (the smack pack was an ingenious invention).  The only problem is that my preferred LHBS does not stock Wyeast.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 09:41:19 am »
That may be true, but the fermentation character of 1007 is something that I really enjoy in my alts. I've heard that K97 is the dry equivalent.

Have you compared it to an alt made with 1056?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 09:42:05 am »
Some years back, 2009, an AABG member fermented the same wort with those. U.S.-05<001<1056 was the impression, but not by much.

I reached the same conclusion.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 11:19:46 am »
Have you compared it to an alt made with 1056?
I have not, but I haven't compared it to one made with pale malt instead of Pils, either. I'm sure they would all be good beers, but that 1007 character is something I look for in my alts. It's merely a flavor preference on my part.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 11:41:00 am »
I have not, but I haven't compared it to one made with pale malt instead of Pils, either. I'm sure they would all be good beers, but that 1007 character is something I look for in my alts. It's merely a flavor preference on my part.

If you do that comparison, I think you'll find that 1007 character is pretty much identical to 1056 character.  I use them interchangeably in IPA, APA, etc.  I've also compared pale and pils malts and found virtually no difference in alt.  I've also won comps with alts made with pale malt and 1056.  Try it before you decide.  All that said, I generally make alts with pils and 1007, but more for tradition than flavor.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Re: Liquid Yeast &gt; Dry Yeast?
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 01:00:57 pm »

If you do that comparison, I think you'll find that 1007 character is pretty much identical to 1056 character.  I use them interchangeably in IPA, APA, etc.  I've also compared pale and pils malts and found virtually no difference in alt.  I've also won comps with alts made with pale malt and 1056.  Try it before you decide.  All that said, I generally make alts with pils and 1007, but more for tradition than flavor.

Do you think Wyeast 2112 Cal Lager would
make a good alt?  I liked the results on an Oktoberfest. 
Brian
mobrewer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Re: Liquid Yeast &gt; Dry Yeast?
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 01:32:05 pm »
Do you think Wyeast 2112 Cal Lager would
make a good alt?  I liked the results on an Oktoberfest.

No, I don't.  Based on my tastes, I don't find it as clean as either 1056 or 1007.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 01:48:37 pm »
No, I don't.  Based on my tastes, I don't find it as clean as either 1056 or 1007.

+1.  To me, 1056, 1007 and the WL Mexican Lager strain are the cleanest ones I've used.
Jon H.

rabeb25

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 03:19:14 pm »

+1.  To me, 1056, 1007 and the WL Mexican Lager strain are the cleanest ones I've used.

Thats funny, I just used 940 on my last Alt.