Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Liquid Yeast > Dry Yeast?  (Read 5734 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Liquid Yeast > Dry Yeast?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2015, 03:30:13 pm »
No, I don't.  Based on my tastes, I don't find it as clean as either 1056 or 1007.

+1.  To me, 1056, 1007 and the WL Mexican Lager strain are the cleanest ones I've used.

Thats funny, I just used 940 on my last Alt.

Great strain. Ultra clean !

EDIT - Those alt pics look fantastic BTW. I could drain a few of those. Need to brew an alt soon, been too long.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 03:55:33 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline hobbitfu

• 1st Kit
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 09:21:22 am »
For all the dry yeast users... I made a Belgian Tripel with Fermentis Abbaye ale yeast and turned out great! Just be aware it kicks out a ton of sulphur in the middle. But cleared up wonderfully and forms a nice compact sediment. Easy to rack.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2015, 10:39:43 am »
For all the dry yeast users... I made a Belgian Tripel with Fermentis Abbaye ale yeast and turned out great! Just be aware it kicks out a ton of sulphur in the middle. But cleared up wonderfully and forms a nice compact sediment. Easy to rack.

I am still very curious about this yeast although it seems to overall be getting negative reviews. Did you beer take a lot of aging to come together?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline hobbitfu

• 1st Kit
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2015, 10:43:40 am »
My biggest mistake was not using fresh yeast at bottling. It started at OG of 1.087 and finished at about 1.006 for about 10.5%. Didn't have enough left to properly bottle condition. But the beer itself was great. In the Westmalle flavour profile (none of the banana and clove type flavours). I was hesitant based on reviews, but my experience was good. Fermented at about 17 to 18C.

Offline hobbitfu

• 1st Kit
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2015, 10:45:15 am »
I probably left it in primary for close to 3 weeks before bottling. And as i said probably need a bottle conditioning yeast, especially if as strong as mine was. Got good feedback from very experienced craft beer drinkers :)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2015, 10:50:25 am »

I am still very curious about this yeast although it seems to overall be getting negative reviews. Did you beer take a lot of aging to come together?

Yeah, there was a pack in the goody bags they gave us at NHC.  Not sure if I'm actually gonna use it based on reports I've read.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2015, 11:54:06 am »
I bought a pack of the Abbaye to try in a split batch coming up. Probably too phenolic is my prediction.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hobbitfu

• 1st Kit
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2015, 11:55:53 am »
Post your observations once available. Love to hear other opinions.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2015, 12:05:30 pm »
I bought a pack of the Abbaye to try in a split batch coming up. Probably too phenolic is my prediction.

Personally, I'd rather have phenolic than fruity.  Guess I'll have to crank out a batch on the Zymatic to try it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2015, 12:31:17 pm »
Personally, I'd rather have phenolic than fruity.

Same here, Denny. That's why I don't brew as many British beers as I used to. Lately I've been enjoying beers made with neutral yeasts, lager yeasts, or phenolic Belgian ones more so than fruity British yeasts. Who knows, maybe a year from now I'll feel differently. 
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2015, 12:44:56 pm »
I'm somewhat the other way. Oftentimes Belgian styles are too phenolic for me and I've quit brewing and buying examples. Mostly. I'd take a British ale over a Belgian brew.

But also I've gravitated towards cleaner or more neutral yeasts and beer styles. Must be some phase...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2015, 12:49:03 pm »
I'm somewhat the other way. Oftentimes Belgian styles are too phenolic for me and I've quit brewing and buying examples. Mostly. I'd take a British ale over a Belgian brew.

But also I've gravitated towards cleaner or more neutral yeasts and beer styles. Must be some phase...

I agree that phenols can be too much pretty easily, and that's not a good thing. I usually hold most Belgian yeasts at ~ 64F for a couple days, then ramp, to keep that under control. There are a few banana bombs out there.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2015, 06:37:13 am »

I used to drink a lot of British and Belgian styles. Then the lager phase hit. Now fruity British beers are back in my flavor preferences. I wonder if the Belgians will start to appeal to me again soon?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2015, 06:40:11 am »
I wonder if the Belgians will start to appeal to me again soon?

I'm sure it's because we beat you in the soccer world cup. Please remember, it's only a game! Don't take it out on people.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:01:21 am by homoeccentricus »
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2015, 06:44:42 am »
I wonder if the Belgians will start to appeal to me again soon?

I'm sure it's because we beat you in the soccer world cup. Please remember, it's only a game! Don't take it out people.

Never say never, phenolic so might appeal to me again someday, and I might start to enjoy footie someday.  :)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!