Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Star san foam  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Star san foam
« on: June 23, 2015, 10:06:51 am »
I'm bottling today and using star san to sanitize the bottles.  It's hard to get the foam out of the bottles, because I want to fill the bottles almost as soon as I pour the sanitizer into the next group of bottles to be filled.   Is that going co cause a problem with the beer?

Thanks for your advice.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Star san foam
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 10:14:42 am »
They sent me giveaways for a competition once including a T-shirt that said 'Don't fear the foam'.

The sanitizing power is in the acidity - once diluted, even a little, it's harmless.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 10:14:58 am »
I'm bottling today and using star san to sanitize the bottles.  It's hard to get the foam out of the bottles, because I want to fill the bottles almost as soon as I pour the sanitizer into the next group of bottles to be filled.   Is that going co cause a problem with the beer?

Thanks for your advice.

No problem whatsoever.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewHalla

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 10:25:26 am »
If you go by what the company says, "Don't fear the foam" and let the container be in contact with some form of the fluid for 1 minute before use. Its not supposed to affect your beer as long as you pour all the liquid out. That being said I don't like using star san for sanitizing bottles, only kegs and fermenters. I have used star san on bottles(22oz) before with not noticing any taste or priming issue but I prefer cleaning bottles then cooking the bottles in the oven for an hour at 350 then covering the top with foil and letting them cool slowly. Then all I have to do is pull the foil off and fill instead of filling the bottle with star san, pouring out the bottle and having the foam be pushed out and go everywhere..
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 10:26:58 am by BrewHalla »

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 11:02:34 am »
If you pour all the liquid out and only have foam left, when you fill from the bottom, the foam is the first thing that comes out.  Even that small amount will have no effect.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 12:03:21 pm »
Another "don't fear the foam" advocate here.  I empty the bottles and let them sit in the rack upside down while waiting their turn.  If there's foam left, it gets pushed out the top when the bottle is filled.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 12:03:39 pm »
If you have a sanitize feature to the dishwasher, if you own one; it is sufficient to prepare your bottles for racking without the use of a sanitizer.

Just make sure you rinse your bottles well after use.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 03:03:17 pm »
+ 'Don't fear the foam'.
Jon H.

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 04:53:04 pm »
I always scoop the foam off the top when I fill kegs. I'm sure it's not really necessary but I do it anyway.
And I always wondered if it is bad for the yeast when I collect yeast in jars that have starsan foam / residue ?
Dan S. from NJ

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 07:39:11 pm »
Bottling or kegging I've never had issue with the foam, "don't fear the foam"
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010