Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Temperature for priming sugar solution?  (Read 8104 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Temperature for priming sugar solution?
« on: June 23, 2015, 05:38:13 am »
After boiling priming sugar solution, I know it needs to be cooled down.  But, what is the max temp you can get by with when adding it to your bottling bucket?

Thanks in advance for your help.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
Re: Temperature for priming sugar solution?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 06:49:56 am »
I would say 75 degrees give or take. Adding it too warm may have some negative impacts on the yeast in suspension.  Granted, you are adding a small amount to what I assume is 5 gallons of cooler beer so, there is some wiggle room in my opinion.

Cheers!
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 06:53:53 am »
It's been a long time since I bottled, but I've always thought that cooling the priming sugar solution wasn't necessary. Since the volume of sugar solution (maybe a cup or so) is so small compared to the 5 gallons of beer the temperature of the beer+solution will stabilize very near the beer's original temp without affecting the yeast needed to carb. Just toss the sugar solution into the bottling bucket, rack in the beer (which mixes in the sugar) and go.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 06:55:39 am »
I normally let it sit covered while setting other stuff up. It's still steaming when I add it.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 06:59:20 am »
I only let it cool for 5-10 minutes.  It really doesn't matter at all since the volume difference is so huge.  Go ahead and add it as quickly as you feel comfortable with.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 09:30:35 am »
I don't let it cool at all.  There's only a cup or so of hot liquid and when you siphon the beer in it cools down immediately.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 09:54:18 am »
I just let it cool for 5 minutes or so. I figure the warmer it is the better it will mix in. Also I rack onto it in the bottling bucket so it probably messes with the first few ounces of beer but then is cooled off quickly so no harm done. I have consistent good results with this method.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 09:55:41 am »
I don't let it cool at all.  There's only a cup or so of hot liquid and when you siphon the beer in it cools down immediately.
+1 - I do the same thing. Plus, the hotter it is the better it will mix. I usually start my siphon, then add the priming solution once there's about an inch or so of beer in the bottling bucket. It cools almost instantly, and the swirling motion of the beer mixes it in pretty well. I still give it a gentle swirl with a sanitized spoon at the end just to be sure that it mixes in evenly.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 10:16:05 am »
Me too ^^^
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline nosybear

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 11:27:39 am »
Don't worry about it.  You're adding a small amount of hot liquid, less than 2% of the total volume.  It won't make a significant difference in the overall temperature of the final solution.