Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My decoction interview with James from Basic Brewing Radio  (Read 4851 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: My decoction interview with James from Basic Brewing Radio
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 11:37:21 am »
Is this under modified malt and will I need to do decoction mash, or at last step mash to get decent efficiency and break down the starches, protein? Has anyone used the malt?

I have used that type of malt in the past and don't think it is undermodified. The soluble nitrogen ratio given in the analysis has a pretty wide spread.

I don't think you need a decoction mash to get good efficiency. With pils malt I wonder how your mash pH was. Maybe that was your culprit.

Kai

that sounds more like  a crush, pH, or other water issue.  Best Pils is easily one of the best extracting malts out there - usually 81-82% yield, and the break drops like a brick in the kettle, and clears post fermentation in < 1 week at lager temps.

Its definitely highly modified - in fact, it would be rare to find any undermodified malt available these days.

Kai - looking forward to the interview.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline concernedphil

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 06:06:28 am »
I guess I have to experiment with it little more. My mill is set to 0.040". The same gap I use for the 2-row malt. I’ll set my mill to smaller gap next time. But I don’t think that has much to do with it. I’ll have to get a PH meter to check the PH. The cheap paper strips are useless. PH is usually on the low side, from what I can tell.  I was just surprised by the big difference in the wort appearance between Canadian Malting 2 row I normally use and the Best Malz Pils. The 2 row converts  quick and is clear, and the pils converted as well, but was cloudy, low efficiency and just loaded with hot break, which formed big chunks when I stopped the boil.  My lager is fermenting now, so I’ll report on the results later.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 08:25:44 am »
Another thing you want to keep track of is the first wort gravity and the mash thickness at that time. You can use that to calculate your conversion efficiency.

Kai