Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP Certification Thoughts  (Read 3794 times)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BJCP Certification Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 07:45:41 am »

As for what I get out of the BJCP...

Personally it greatly improved my brewing, more than any other thing has.  But in fairness I'm a technical, to-style, German-type brewer.  If one were a serial experifermenter I don't know that it would do the same.
Oh I agree it made me a much better brewer. I tried to convey that in my extra long phone gibberish post.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 09:24:27 am »
Personally it greatly improved my brewing, more than any other thing has.  But in fairness I'm a technical, to-style, German-type brewer.  If one were a serial experifermenter I don't know that it would do the same.

Therein lies the value of going through BJCP certification process.  It teaches one how to determine if a beer is to style based on a set of guidelines as well as how to document one's sensory evaluation in a common language and structure.  That kind of specialized knowledge is needed to run well-organized competitions that provide consistent and useful feedback to contestants.  Everything else that is learned via BJCP participation can be learned as well if not better via other avenues.  I personally did not learn anything technical that I did not already know by going through the BJCP process.  A few things that are taught in the program are actually technically incorrect such as how trans-2-nonenal is formed.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 12:16:17 pm »

Therein lies the value of going through BJCP certification process.  It teaches one how to determine if a beer is to style based on a set of guidelines as well as how to document one's sensory evaluation in a common language and structure.  That kind of specialized knowledge is needed to run well-organized competitions that provide consistent and useful feedback to contestants.  Everything else that is learned via BJCP participation can be learned as well if not better via other avenues.  I personally did not learn anything technical that I did not already know by going through the BJCP process.  A few things that are taught in the program are actually technically incorrect such as how trans-2-nonenal is formed.

I would argue that being able to document one's sensory evaluation will make you a better brewer rather you're evaluating beers that are brewed to style or not.  Knowing and being able to reference what you're perceiving in a beer will only be able to help you brew it better.  Obviously this knowledge is only a tool and you would still have to put in some effort to determine how to avoid or increase whatever you are perceiving/want to perceive in the beer.

I do agree you could accomplish this through other avenues.  The 'to style' portion of the BJCP mostly only comes into the equation when trying to score a scoresheet.  All the steps of evaluating a beer up to that point are just sensory perceptions and your ability to express them.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 01:36:49 pm »
I am one of those people who tests well and am a Master BJCP judge.  The first time I took the written test 20 years ago, I scored 85, so I studied real hard, read about beer for months and retook it for an 83.  After teaching a prep class I made it to the next level.
I like the new format better.  It is more about actual judging and sensory perception.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 08:38:54 pm »
I'm a Grand Master (waiting for points to hit to be GM2). I started judging back in 2007 so that I could understand what the judges are looking for when judging my beers.  I could brew drinkable stuff, but after entering what I thought were some really good beers into competitions, I'd end up in the low to mid 30's.  I figured I'd never brew better unless I knew what they were perceiving that I wasn't.  It definitely helped develop my palate and introduced me to all of the styles, as well as practical experience with controlled off flavor tasting, all of which in turn drastically improved my brewing, since I no longer had to rely on the opinion of others to troubleshoot my own beers.

I agree with Amanda that the online materials are dated, and am glad that she has taken the initiative on renovating the learning materials.  We've been eyeing them as needing work but have been working on other priorities (particularly getting more graders so that we can address the backlog problems).

Feel free to PM me or email me (steve dot antoch at yahoo dot com) if you have any questions about the BJCP or judging.  If I can't directly answer them, I'll see that it gets to the appropriate person.

Steve
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 07:09:29 am »

Knowing and being able to reference what you're perceiving in a beer will only be able to help you brew it better.  Obviously this knowledge is only a tool and you would still have to put in some effort to determine how to avoid or increase whatever you are perceiving/want to perceive in the beer.

Are you saying that the BJCP is a bunch of tools?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:14:54 am by dbeechum »

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 07:11:44 am »
Groan lol
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"