Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Commercial Calibration -- Making the content more accessible for BJCP students.  (Read 3305 times)

Offline bradwood

• 1st Kit
I'm studying for the BJCP now and so I've been reviewing this page, going onto the eZymurgy web-based app, finding the Commercial Calibration section, and then grabbing the text of each of the Commercial Calibrations from all the back issues for styles I'm currently studying.

This is a most annoying, labour-intensive and convoluted process.

I'd be eternally grateful (as I'm sure would all other aspiring BJCP judges) if someone at AHA/Zymurgy could publish a collection of all back-issue Commercial Calibrations in one handy booklet, app, PDF or similar...

I'd even be happy to pay for it!

Hopefully AHA/Zymurgy Editors hear my plea!!

Cheers,

Brad

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
I want to second and third this plea.

This used to be something that was searchable on the AHA Website - why did that go away?
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
The old Commercial Calibration webpages were taken down because they took quite a long time to put together and would only get a dozen or so visits a month, and that was when it was doing well. It could go weeks without anyone going there at all. We opted to just keep a list and point people the issues via the electronic magazine.

I will absolutely bring this idea up with the Web and Zymurgy teams and see if it's something we'll bring back.

Cheers,
Duncan
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline bradwood

• 1st Kit
Even if you sell a hard copy for a tenner I'd buy.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
I've got a little heartburn with the commercial calibration lists.  It is about availability. Why list a beer and then put in parentheses 'not available in the U.S.?'  The more common occurrence though is that the examples are just not available in a given region.  I can understand that I can't get all of the examples in Yakima, but Seattle?!  Surely there are more commercial examples of the given beer styles that exist in a large market like Seattle that are not on the list but could be.

My solution would be to give permission to a small number of top-level BJCP judges to simply log on to a website so that when they try a given commercial beer and it is a good example they can add it to the list.  This list could even be 'unofficial' if there are issues I am not seeing with the process.

The bottom line: the commercial calibration lists need to be longer so that a person doesn't have to travel to another state, the opposite coast, or Europe to get an example of a given style.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline bradwood

• 1st Kit
Agreed. And for us (few) international AHA members (I'm in London, UK) it's near impossible to get a regional US beer unless it's a really famous one like a Sierra Nevada...

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Depends on the style I suppose. At some point its just reality. The prime examples of Kölsch are going to be in Kölschville. Its just not practical to expect the organization to find great commercial examples in every region, or even most. And im not sure that it makes for interesting reading if all of the zymurgy commercial calibration beers were stuff available everywhere.

In the same vein as off flavor kits, how cool would it be if you could buy a commercial calibration kit from someone? It would probably cost a grand, but it would be pretty cool.

Offline bradwood

• 1st Kit
Yup. Maybe just do each and every commercial example cited in the guidelines to start with... That's gotta be some reasonably heavy drinking, but if they made it into the guidelines in the first place, I would hope there'd be an assessment or two kicking around for each of them.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
My solution would be to give permission to a small number of top-level BJCP judges to simply log on to a website so that when they try a given commercial beer and it is a good example they can add it to the list.  This list could even be 'unofficial' if there are issues I am not seeing with the process.
The goal for commercial examples is similar to that according to what Gordon has said several times in discussing the new guidelines.  They intentionally tried to limit the examples in the 2015 set because of the constantly changing nature of distributions and commercial examples.
The bottom line: the commercial calibration lists need to be longer so that a person doesn't have to travel to another state, the opposite coast, or Europe to get an example of a given style.
For some styles that's going to be tough.  It's part of the reason why Southern English Brown became London Brown and is a historical style.  Unless you're in a really small region (geographically speaking), you're not going to be able to find a commercial example.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
I dunno.  I think the commercial calibration article would be pretty boring if it was only mass market widely available beers.  I kind of like that they're judging a wider variety of beers and I think it's cool to see that the scores aren't always top shelf.

Of course, I'm not studying to be a judge so that's an element that doesn't factor in for me.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline alexouellette

• 1st Kit
Still nothing on the commercial index calibration being published, huh? Seems like such a valuable teaching tool to waste.