Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: San Diego Super Yeast  (Read 1000 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
San Diego Super Yeast
« on: June 25, 2015, 06:06:20 pm »
Never used this strain before and I am looking forward to seeing the results. The LHBS up here in fairbanks, AK is pretty limited from what I am used to. Making my house Brown Ale tomorrow and I have it on the stir plate as we speak. Have any of you used this before and if so how does it compare to Wyeast California Ale strain?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: San Diego Super Yeast
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 06:13:17 pm »
This strain is clean like 1056/001/05 and does the job quicker than any strain I've used. You'll probably see the krausen fall/airlock activity slow or stop after not much more than 3 days for an average strength beer. Don't rush to bottle it, though - give it a couple weeks in primary and it'll be fairly clear and ready to package.

I've read reports where some people feel that this strain accentuates hop bitterness a tad more and late hop character a tad less than 1056/001. There may be some truth there, but I've used both and like both quite a bit. Be sure to post how it comes out.  Good luck !
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 06:35:32 pm »
Used it only once a long time ago, so I can't report much. Did turn a solid 1.055 beer in 7 days.

I think Ken on the forum uses this yeast a lot.

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 07:07:53 pm »
Good to hear some positive feedback. Going to ferment at 66. This is my first beer since moving. Five months since I've brewed