Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Weihnachtsbier recipe  (Read 1716 times)

Ancient Abbey

Weihnachtsbier recipe
« on: December 16, 2015, 06:37:28 am »
Looking for some help on a weihnachtsbier recipe.

Based on the photo on the German Beer Institute webpage, this beer looks like the perfect candidate for Best Red X malt.   I'm on the fence between using a 50:50 split of munich and red x versus using 100% red x as the base.  Additionally, I'm thinking of throwing in a little abbey malt for the nuts and honey notes, plus some special X or caraaroma for some dark fruit, candy and burnt marshmallow notes. I'm not sure if there is a place for melanoidin malt and/or caramunich or if it's not needed.  Thoughts on the malt bill?

As for hops, I'm going to go with noble, probably tettnanger.  I'm not sure how many IBU total and how many should come from late additions.  I'm thinking this is a fairly malt forward beer, so I was going to error on the low side, maybe 20-25 total IBU, with 20% of those coming from the 15 minute addition.  Thoughts on the hop bill?

I'm hoping to make this using an alt strain to get it done quickly.  Is an alt strain inappropriate for this style?  I see Füchschen makes one, so I'm assuming they use their house alt strain. 

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Weihnachtsbier recipe
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 02:18:03 pm »
I know nothing about the style, but your thoughts on it make it sound like something to try out. Let us know how it works out for you
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)