Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Priming sugar v. force carb of corni keg at room temp  (Read 4349 times)

Offline bronxbrewer

• 1st Kit
Priming sugar v. force carb of corni keg at room temp
« on: June 11, 2010, 01:45:37 pm »
I have an IPA that I am ready to keg but my keg-orator is out of commission.  How does force carbing work at room temp(70 degrees)?  Would it be better to add priming sugar to the keg instead?  If so, what is a good recommended amount for an IPA?

Thanks 

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
Re: Priming sugar v. force carb of corni keg at room temp
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 03:23:50 pm »
I'm drinking my first keg right now that I primed with 1/3 cup corn sugar in one cup water simmered for 10 min.
I let it rest at 68-70 degrees for ten days, but wasnt carbed enough, so let it go for 2 weeks at least. 
I would say 70 degrees for force carbing is too warm and you'll just waste your co2!
Tom

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 05:16:44 pm »
You can do it, but what I would recommend is to find the coolest place in your house (60 or less) and force carbonate at that temp.  You'll have to crank up the pressure more to get the CO2 to dissolve into the beer at warmer temps but it is doable. 
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 09:40:04 am »
Force carbing at room temp is pretty much the only thing I do.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bronxbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:18:13 am »
This is music to my ears.  I'm gonna try and force carb at room temp today.  Thanks for the input.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 05:21:30 pm »
If you have a week or so go ahead and prime with sugar. 1/4 -1/3 cup regular old table sugar is all you need. I prefer a little less carbonation on my IPAs so I go with a 1/4. For Belgians I go as far as 1/2 cup.

IME the Chico strain is a very fast natural primer since the yeast stays is a low flocculator. 3-4 days is usually all it takes at 70 degree room temp. But sometimes up to a week or two if temps are cooler.