Author Topic: New Brewer Intro and "Hi!"  (Read 771 times)

Offline Lathis

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
New Brewer Intro and "Hi!"
« on: June 28, 2015, 08:36:26 PM »
Hi all!  Long time lurker, newer member, first time poster.  I've been home brewing in all-grain mini-batches (1 to 2 gallons at a time) for about a year.  I've made a couple of wheats, several stouts, and a number of porters. I tend to like heavy, dry or semisweet beers at about midrange in the IBUs. And sours, but for some reasons, I treat those as a guilty pleasure :)

I just poured a test glass (read: too impatient to wait any longer) of my first shot at a Peanut Butter Porter.  In another 2-4 weeks or so, it will be a really nice brew; just a little sharp after 2 weeks in the bottle.  I used real, organic peanut butter instead of powder. It made a beer that is definitely not pretty - greasy haze on the top, no stable head, and a fair amount of peanut butter sediment, but the oil in the peanut butter actual creates a really nice, just a bit sweet, finish that hangs, almost like the aftertaste of a Reese's peanut butter cup.  It's sitting at just a hair over 6% ABV.  I'm pretty pleased with something I wasn't sure was going to turn out. I'm trying out a few weeks of cold conditioning to see if I can get the PB dregs to settle more.

I also have what I'm calling a Thanksgiving Stout (cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice on a milk stout base) in the primary right now.  My next plan is some sort of savory or herb ale, so if anyone has a recipe they like, I'm all ears!

Brewing is the only cooking I do... Which sucks for the hubby, since he doesn't drink
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:40:06 PM by Lathis »

Offline Lathis

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Re: New Brewer Intro and "Hi!"
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 08:38:57 PM »

Not a pretty beer... But it's going to be tasty!  The hubby is quite artistic, so he made me these labels!  :D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:41:17 PM by Lathis »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 09:36:34 PM »
Welcome aboard!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 09:46:02 PM »
Savory or herb ale?  I've got a recipe for clam chowder saison...yes, really!  And welcome!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 10:51:10 PM »
Howdy and cool labels!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 11:17:58 PM »
Welcome !
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 12:47:24 AM »
Welcome.
I wonder if the oils from the peanut butter will make it hard for a head to form. you'll find out soon enough. I like the Thanksgiving Stout idea. Stouts are not filling and the roast bitterness should act as a digestive as will the spices. I could see adding a shot of Fernet to it post dinner.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Lathis

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 03:10:11 AM »
Welcome.
I wonder if the oils from the peanut butter will make it hard for a head to form. you'll find out soon enough. I like the Thanksgiving Stout idea. Stouts are not filling and the roast bitterness should act as a digestive as will the spices. I could see adding a shot of Fernet to it post dinner.
I suspect it's the oil.  It had a nice carbonation level, but the carbonation had a sharp mouth feel - more like a soda than a beer.  I'm hoping that will mellow as well.

I like the fernet idea for the stout!

Offline Lathis

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 03:23:04 AM »
Thanks, all!  I learn so much reading through others questions and past posts here. So far, nothing had been undrinkable (fingers crossed, haha), but most importantly, I'm having a good time!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 05:30:11 AM »
Welcome aboard, you have gotten a lot more creative than I did in my first year of brewing
Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg:
In Bottles:  
In the works: Hopefully brewing 10 gallons of Pilsner tomorrow for a family reunion in July, then back to IPA and  a barleywine to age

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 06:20:03 PM »
Hello!  Welcome to the best homebrewing forum out there!  Just don't do a maple bacon Porter like I did unless you like salty beer.  BTW, nice Bully Smokestack tulip glass.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • View Profile
    • Brülosophy
New Brewer Intro and "Hi!"
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 05:21:36 AM »
Welcome! Looks only matter so much, if it tastes good, that's key!

Tip: don't listen to Denny

I kid. The Saison wasn't nearly as horrendous as I expected.

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 06:14:50 AM »
If you're looking for something else  weird use algae
- Charles

Offline Lathis

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 12:00:37 PM »
Hello!  Welcome to the best homebrewing forum out there!  Just don't do a maple bacon Porter like I did unless you like salty beer.  BTW, nice Bully Smokestack tulip glass.
KC pride!  :D

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 04:03:52 PM »
I kid. The Saison wasn't nearly as horrendous as I expected.

That makes at least 2 of us!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell