Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fantastic brewing competition prizes...  (Read 1710 times)

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
Fantastic brewing competition prizes...
« on: June 29, 2015, 08:15:26 am »
This has been a great week for the 2015 BrewUnited Challenge.  We are officially BJCP sanctioned now (comp #204116), we are being sponsored by the AHA, and some other neat pieces have fallen into place behind the scenes.  In two days, we officially open for entries!

In the meantime, I wanted to share the fantastic prize list we have compiled so far (nearly $2500 worth!) - and what's better, I'm certain that we will pick up at least a few more prizes before all is said and done.

Anyway, check it out.  :)

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
Re: Fantastic brewing competition prizes...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 11:45:44 am »
Hah.  Since I posted this, we've added another $200 in prizes, including a "Build Your Own" jockey box from Keg Connection!

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 09:40:57 pm »
Looks great.
Where is it?  Folks might be interested in entering, helping to judge, steward or otherwise volunteer, but we don't even have a clue which continent it's on.

:-D

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 09:53:09 pm »
The original announcement, linked in the prize post I made above, describes this, but you do have to read down a bit.

The competition is open to anyone who can legally ship beer in the USA.  There are three divisions, each of which will be happy to have volunteers!

Hoppy Beers - Fresno, California
Malty Beers - Chicago, Illinois
Balanced Beers - Austin, Texas

The competition entry form will have a section to allow those interested in judging, stewarding, or simply volunteering, to do so.

Thanks!

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 11:12:07 pm »
Nice!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 07:53:31 am »
Ah, this is the comp that Matt was asking me about a couple weeks ago.  I may accept the challenge to brew a 9E from that limited malt and hop bill.  That will truly be a feat.

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 08:10:47 am »
Hah, probably so.  There are two Matts who are very involved in this thing.

It's funny - I've had a couple of other brewers (including one I really respect) tell me that it's impossible to brew a Wee Heavy (especially with this grain bill) and have it ready in three and a half months.  We feel like it's doable - you will surely have to do some sort of really long boil, reduce some runnings to syrup, perhaps sacrifice a chicken - but it's doable.

I get a lot of "I don't want to brew an X with even a single grain of C60", "how can I brew Y without hop Z" and the sort.  That's sort of the point.  Do something a little out of the ordinary, a little out of your comfort zone. 

Otherwise, the "Challenge" part doesn't exactly apply.  :)

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 08:29:46 am »
Wow.  BrewerShirts just got back to me.  They are contributing $200 more of prizes than I had anticipated - all of our division winners (1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each), plus the grand prize winner, will get certificates from them.  All told, we're now up to $2900 in prizes!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 08:43:03 am »
Hah, probably so.  There are two Matts who are very involved in this thing.
Chrispen.
It's funny - I've had a couple of other brewers (including one I really respect) tell me that it's impossible to brew a Wee Heavy (especially with this grain bill) and have it ready in three and a half months.  We feel like it's doable - you will surely have to do some sort of really long boil, reduce some runnings to syrup, perhaps sacrifice a chicken - but it's doable.

I get a lot of "I don't want to brew an X with even a single grain of C60", "how can I brew Y without hop Z" and the sort.  That's sort of the point.  Do something a little out of the ordinary, a little out of your comfort zone. 

Otherwise, the "Challenge" part doesn't exactly apply.  :)
Considering that I already brew my way heavy with a grain bill that people don't believe, I think it's probably doable too.

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 08:54:16 am »
Matt Chrispen.  AKA the judge director for our Balanced division.  He's been invaluable - has put in tons of work on this, has helped keep us on task and organized, has put a lot of creative energy in, too.  The Homebrew Hero idea is 100% his. 

And yeah, I'm sure that it's doable.  I've also heard "it can't age long enough"... but the more that I brew, the less convinced I am that long aging is absolutely necessary to making a great beer of any style.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 10:42:14 am »
Matt Chrispen.  AKA the judge director for our Balanced division.  He's been invaluable - has put in tons of work on this, has helped keep us on task and organized, has put a lot of creative energy in, too.  The Homebrew Hero idea is 100% his. 
Yeah, I'll probably stay out of the Balanced categories or at least limit myself to one in order to help judge.
And yeah, I'm sure that it's doable.  I've also heard "it can't age long enough"... but the more that I brew, the less convinced I am that long aging is absolutely necessary to making a great beer of any style.
Long aging is not absolutely necessary.  Some of the oxidation effects (the dark fruit and sherry-like qualities of a good one) will certainly add complexity and I find mine hits its peak around 6-9 months in, but a really good scotch ale will still be a really good scotch ale even straight out of the fermenter.  Personally my biggest challenge is going to be remapping my brew calendar.

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 10:58:42 am »
Ah, you must be one of the cool judges he mentioned hoping to nail down.  We'd be glad to have you!

I agree, you can't get the oxidation effects that quickly, but I'm finding more and more that a good beer is good pretty quickly.