Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch scailing help  (Read 1302 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
Batch scailing help
« on: June 28, 2015, 06:38:20 pm »
I'm sure there is a really simple way of scailing a batch without doing some crazy math. I want to do some smaller batches (2-3 gallon). What are some things that I need to take into account when doing this so I don't jack the recipe up? I use Brewtoad ( I have Beersmith but haven't switched) and it will automatically scale the beers but I don't know it its fail proof.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Batch scailing help
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 07:09:34 pm »
The biggest concern in my opinion is scaling for final volume. You need to know your pre-boil volume and boil off to scale effectively. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 08:40:59 pm »
The scaling calculator in beersmith seems reasonably reliable within 5-10 gallons as long as you do a good job setting up your equipment profile for whatever your small batch system is. You will probably need to tweak the boil off percentage the most, especially if you are using a pot that gives you more surface than depth in the kettle volume due to using too large of a pot. However, you'll figure that out after your first time or two.

The biggest problem with beersmith IMO is that the calculations round too much and the variance created by all the rounding grows to an unacceptable level when you scale from a large commercial volume down to homebrew numbers. Going from one gallon to ten gallons might give you an error of a couple ounces but fifteen BBL to five gallons turns into a half gallon of error. Add that beersmith is not designed to account for the changes in efficiency in mash conversion and hop utilization between commercial volumes and homebrew volumes and cutting 15 BBL to 5 gallons is unreliable. If you're just cutting a five gallon batch to two or three gallons then this is not an issue for you.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 08:53:59 pm »
Ok. I just thought that it would throw the hops balance off for some reason. Seems like I had read it somewhere. Will try the mentioned advice

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 09:36:57 pm »

Ok. I just thought that it would throw the hops balance off for some reason. Seems like I had read it somewhere. Will try the mentioned advice
Well, the hops would be crazy out of balance if you figured your boil off wrong.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 12:26:55 pm »
It may improve utilization a bit, but I don't know if it would be enough to be noticeable. Everything scales pretty much exactly except for the boiloff rate (and therefore the preboil volume and gravity). Since the preboil gravity is lower for the smaller batch, hop utilization may be improved.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer